Search the forum,

Discuss Poystyrene walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rudge500`

Hi, I am a plumber in Australia. The current trend here is to clad houses with polystyrene (3" thick) and then render them with concrete. Are they doing this in the Uk? I invented a fixing that will hold in the polystyrene, good for putting on downpipe brackets etc. would like to know if there is a market for them in the UK.

John B

we do have renderd housing methods over here, which normally would involve fibreglass or foam insulation covered with render. Normally when working on these types of propertys wooden battons are fixed at certain heights (decided at design stage) to give you a good fixing for all your rwp's , svp's etc...

I think you will find with the UK market is that many of the big housebuilders and big sites are mainly using timber frame with brick exteriors and small builders are using traditional brick and block There are a number of comapnies promoting these polystyrene type buildings and from what I have seen it tends to be self builders who are experimenting with them mainly because of the high insulation values of the the products. Depending on how serious you are in breaking into the uk market I would be willing to contact a number of companies to try and get some facts and figures for you

i've come acroos this numerous times mainly on blocks of flats and larger buildings when working in london and am now seeing more and more smaller buildings using it. I have also had the problems of getting good fixings too, I'd say there is a market for it that maybe small but will grow as this system is used here more.

The government and energy companies are currently pushing different tech to insulate and decrease the energy consumption of houses to meet targets our government has agreed to.The money used is a tax rebate insentive the energy companies have to spend on this type of thing( its why many people can get free loft lagging from them) One of the ideas that is currently being used is external cladding/rendering of housing that does not have cavity walls, these are normally done on housing in poverty high areas. I know of one energy company that is currently doing this in many areas, they use a foam type insulation which is renderd over.

As i said above they normally use timber battons for fixings but i guess an alternative/cheaper idea would interest them.

Hi Rudge. Before putting too much time into developing fixing. Find out the Germany for what you are doing and Goggle it. As they have been using this type of insulation/rendering for 25 years to my knowledge. I am sure they have a system to accommodate fixings.

Hi,
thanks for the advice. Mine has been on the market for a few years now, it is selling ok here.
I will have a look at German sites as suggested.

John B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poystyrene walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am new here and I need some help with a home repair. I have this pipe located in my basement inside my wall made of concrete that is showing signs of water leaking onto my basement floor. There is no leaks from the pipe itself, the water is only coming from the bottom where the concrete...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming through the bedroom wall from the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The shower is over the bath and the bathroom walls are tiled around three sides of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are designing and building cooking gas bottles with electronics controlled valves. These are for kids camping chalets. Its purely a safety feature because its kids. As you can tell, there is no big market for this product, its just to get these kids out camping. System description: So...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I hope you can help, I don't know any plumbers and just wondered about an idea of mine, it might not be do able for good reason! I built a 6 x 3m outbuilding a few months ago for myself in the garden, me and wife wanted an office to work in when needed, mainly her (labourer). This...
Replies
Views
Hi all Bit of a story here. We moved into our house in March 2021 and had lots of jobs to do. On buying the house we were told that the current Boiler was not fit for purpose and we received a £2,500 rebate off the house price so we could get a new boiler fitted. So, the new Boiler was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock