Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Puma 80 boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi forum,

Hope I'm posting this in the correct place, this is my first post.

I have a very old Potterton Puma 80 boiler and I cannot get the pilot to light after the gas ran out.

I had my meter changed earlier this week and after it was replaced the guy couldn't get the boiler to turn back on so he had to book a boiler engineer to come out. When he came he managed to get it working within a minute or so. He told me the ignitor wasn't working and he had lit the pilot with a match.

Basically, I'm hoping to do the same as I have a very cold house and need to give my son a bath. I have taken the cover off the front of the boiler but I can't see a way to access the pilot without taking the metal plate off. I don't remember seeing the engineer take the plate off so I'm thinking there must be another way, but I can't see it.

I don't have any money for an engineer anyway, but British Gas is asking for a minimum of £89 for a one-off engineer. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't really want to pay that for a 2-minute job.

Does anybody have any experience with this boiler to help me get it working tonight? I can call the same engineer who came out to fix it tomorrow morning but there is no guarantee he will help me and I won't have the £89 until Friday
frown.gif

Thanks in advance!

Ring a local gas safe engineer.
The price will become cheaper in your mind when the weather c
Gets colder and you have no water.
It’s a 20 minute job, with a a £15 part. But they have to get the and to another job

No one like spending mate but it’s only gonna get colder. As above ring a local engineer rather than BG

Please bare in mind a lot of parts for them boilers are obsolete.

I’m also pretty sure they have electronic ignition.
Yes I've been told that, which is why it needs to be replaced asap, but I will need to save up for that.

It does have electronic, but that part seems to have died which is why the engineer did it manually :(

Yes mate. Try running the hot water tap whilst pressing the button in on the gas valve. Then light the pilot with the push button ignition below the one you already have pushed in. Hold once alight for 30/60 seconds then let go. From memory I recall these to be quiet stubborn to relight.

Reply to Potterton Puma 80 boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock