Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Netaheat Boiler not switching over from CH to WH properly after replaced Valve Actuator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bee

My Potterton Netaheat Gas boiler in London UK only comes on to heat radiators when in timed water mode after renewing actuator valve or when both water and heating are set to On continuously it only heats water at the timed settings. Have never used a forum before to get advice. Can anyone help and give guidance on possible faults?

Agreed. Sounds like a fault with the way the heating system has been wired rather than anything being wrong with the boiler itself.

Still baffles me how little electrical knowledge many so called heating engineers have, I worked for a large company where 50%+ of engineers didn't have a multimeter and many that did didn't have a clue how to do basic voltage, continuity or resistance testing, gas rarely goes wrong, its normally an electric component so why is it not part of their ACS training ?

Still baffles me how little electrical knowledge many so called heating engineers have, I worked for a large company where 50%+ of engineers didn't have a multimeter and many that did didn't have a clue how to do basic voltage, continuity or resistance testing, gas rarely goes wrong, its normally an electric component so why is it not part of their ACS training ?

Indeed you maybe right, I knew bare minimum when it came to electrics. even on my plumbing course the section on how to wire s and y plan systems was passed by everyone due to running out of time...even tho no-one touched a wire. A load of boiler courses later and I have got upto speed. Suppose tho, when I wanted to become a plumber being a 'plumbtrician' neer really crossed my mind.....
As for all the gas engineers who only really did a gas course and not so much an indepth plumbing course I cant understand why electrics shouldn't be a big part of the course.

Last edited:
Indeed you maybe right, I knew bare minimum when it came to electrics. even on my plumbing course the section on how to wire s and y plan systems was passed by everyone due to running out of time...even tho no-one touched a wire. A load of boiler courses later and I have got upto speed. Suppose tho, when I wanted to become a plumber being a 'plumbtrician' neer really crossed my mind...
As for all the gas engineers who only really did a gas course and not so much an indepth plumbing course I cant understand why electrics shouldn't be a big part of the course.

Maybe you would feel happier if we had to pay out for another course renewable every 5 years ! Basic electrics used to be part of the core module still have to books somewhere .

My Potterton Netaheat Gas boiler in London UK only comes on to heat radiators when in timed water mode after renewing actuator valve or when both water and heating are set to On continuously it only heats water at the timed settings. Have never used a forum before to get advice. Can anyone help and give guidance on possible faults?
Has it been like that as long as you've known it, or has it been OK in the past? That would affect the diagnosis.

No fixitflav, it started after British Gas homecare came when radiators were cold. They changed the pump, the valve actuator, timer and then said after that, it needed a power flush, so got Power flush company to do power flush which helped, but then I noticed the current situation. Since then a Heating Engineer has change the timer, the pump again and the actuator valve again. But I am still left with the same problem. Just means I keep set to On continuously setting.

No fixitflav, it started after British Gas homecare came when radiators were cold. They changed the pump, the valve actuator, timer and then said after that, it needed a power flush, so got Power flush company to do power flush which helped, but then I noticed the current situation. Since then a Heating Engineer has change the timer, the pump again and the actuator valve again. But I am still left with the same problem. Just means I keep set to On continuously setting.
That's a great deal more information than you originally posted! Sounds like at least some of those guys don't know what they're doing. Changing the timer, pump and the
valve
actuator twice seems like clutching at straws, or using a scattergun approach. If they did that all at once and it had cured it, nobody would have known which was the problem. I think you need somebody who is capable of looking at it logically to diagnose the actual problem.
I just googled Potterton Netaheat and a link to Mike the Boilerman came up. If you can believe his spiel he might be the sort of man you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Netaheat Boiler not switching over from CH to WH properly after replaced Valve Actuator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock