Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton boiler wouldn't fire up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Gee

Hello,

I let out a small flat and last week, the tenants called to say the potterton boiler did not fire up. I asked them if they topped up the prepay gas meter and it turns out they were on emergency credit. I told them they needed to top it up to get the boiler working again. They did, it worked for one hour then the red light came on again to say flame was not lit. They insisted they'd topped it up with sufficient credit. I was going to go take a look the next day as it was already 10 pm. In the meantime, the tenant then went back to the gas meter and pressed a button. They say they saw a message that said the pressure read 2 and that it was too high. They claim that's why the boiler stopped working. They said after they pressed the button the boiler started working again. But it seems they also went back upstairs to release some pressure from the radiators to bring it down to 1.5. Can anyone enlighten me? Did the boiler stop working as a result of the pressure being at 2 or was it because they topped it up and didn't press the button? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I let out a small flat and last week, the tenants called to say the potterton boiler did not fire up. I asked them if they topped up the prepay gas meter and it turns out they were on emergency credit. I told them they needed to top it up to get the boiler working again. They did, it worked for one hour then the red light came on again to say flame was not lit. They insisted they'd topped it up with sufficient credit. I was going to go take a look the next day as it was already 10 pm. In the meantime, the tenant then went back to the gas meter and pressed a button. They say they saw a message that said the pressure read 2 and that it was too high. They claim that's why the boiler stopped working. They said after they pressed the button the boiler started working again. But it seems they also went back upstairs to release some pressure from the radiators to bring it down to 1.5. Can anyone enlighten me? Did the boiler stop working as a result of the pressure being at 2 or was it because they topped it up and didn't press the button? Thanks in advance.
No idea mate. Could have been one, both or non of the above.

In the meantime, the tenant then WENT BACK TO THE GAS METER and pressed a button.

The story would be less of a mystery if at this point instead of the gas meter they had really gone to the boiler and pressed a button on that. It would mean that you need a Gas Safe Engineer but it'll be a relatively straightforward fix for someone suitably qualified.

The story would make a more sense if at this point they went to the boiler and pressed a button on that. It would mean that you need a Gas Safe Engineer but it'll be a relatively straightforward fix for someone suitably qualified.
Ya, see I know nothing about boilers. I'm parroting what they sent me in an email. I would have called out a gas engineer the next day as we are insured for emergency situations. But the tenants got it working again.

But the tenants got it working again.

Okay, you may be lucky and it's all okay now. But, if my guess at the cause (a common boiler problem) is right they'll find that when the system is cold and won't start they have to add water to the system to raise the pressure and then, once it's hot they'll need to bleed some out to keep it going. If this is happening you need to call your GSR.

Okay, you may be lucky and it's all okay now. But, if my guess at the cause (a common boiler problem) is right they'll find that when the system is cold and won't start they have to add water to the system to raise the pressure and then, once it's hot they'll need to bleed some out to keep it going. If this is happening you need to call your GSR.
You're probably right. Thanks.

I expect most of the top up will have paid off the emergency credit debt.
Did you get landlord gas and electric checks done?
Meter readings?
Inventory’s?
Explaining controls, stop taps etc?

Everything's up-to-date. I thought the same about the emergency credit. But they insisted they had paid that and had ÂŁ50 surplus.

Reply to Potterton boiler wouldn't fire up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Wondering if anyone can offer any clues please // Potterton Promax 18 // Had an E1 error code, repressurised via with filling loop // Boiler fires but now the pressure runs up from 1.5 mark in the green up to 2.5 in the red then flicks off. // Error code again // Once held in reset for...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust gases then it stops. The fan is still going then it starts off again and stops again. After 4 or 5 goes it runs fine. When the boiler gets up to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock