Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton BOA sectional boiler sections. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

If any of you engineers out there take one of these Potterton BOA sectional boilers out before taking it to the scrap yard ring me 07977722363 because I want a spare section.
I fitted a brand new section to a 108 and the company did not have the decency to let me know a couple of years or so later they were dumping it. That's gratitude for you because I'd got that boiler going on numerous occasions when others failed and one had an Oftec cert!.........It was usually freezing brass monkeys goolies off regularly when I always got the thing going ......... That's life though = sxxt.

If you come across another please make a note of my number?
I am about to remove a Potterton BOA108 and its NuWay burner. There is a leak on the Danfoss pump pressure adjuster on the burner. The control unit has had its flame detector replaced. On another post, someone asked about the history of the BOA. It started life in the 1950s as the BOA80. By the 1960s Potterton had increased the jet size and pressure to turn it into the BOA108. The boiler that I am removing has been run for years derated to the original BOA80 pressure and an even smaller narrower jet, and temperature limited to 60 degrees C. This has enabled it to be used with temperature modulation, only getting to 60 degrees when water heating or house warm up or heating in mid-winter. Although it thus has good efficiency, a cast replacement condensing boiler will be fitted. I shall be sorry to see it go.

Location is Bracknell Berkshire.

Thank you for thinking about me...... It's a pity you are a long way from Nottingham. My Boa has been with us 55 years and was second hand then....... I offered to repair this boiler when it was in situe in Fiskerton near Newark when I was in my twenties.
It seems the cast sections are everlasting and especially the ones that have been looked after like this one. 80% is not a bad efficiency and with a few boffles I wonder if that figure could be bettered ? Our Boa is three section =108...... The production engineer at Potterton once said to me (when I complained about one of their postage stamp gas boilers) Now you're taking about a boiler! He thought he'd 'knock' me when I was complaining so he asked me what boiler had I got!
He knew his stuff back then but what do the ones in charge know now?
One thing I have learned is that a few of the up to date boilers HX's are best if they are stainless such as the little Gloworm HXi in our caravan in Wales. It cost £5,50 and hasn't cost a penny as yet for the 7 years but the water is clean with A freeze in it. It's on propane as there is no Nat gas in the country there.
Best wishes with your new Boiler.
I once fitted a Worcester condensing oil boiler (crap). Before that a Worcester Oil Combi which I thought was going to be a varmint to get at for servicing so after getting it going I said I hope you are not going to ask me to service this thing! The previous combi had been in 11 years so why on earth did they choose & get the same Boiler?

There's nowt so strange as folks...... I am very pleased to see there are plenty of the GW Hxi's for sale on EB. The younger generation seem good at recomending COMBIS that are bound to go wrong? Kind regards Mick the X commercial HE

Reply to Potterton BOA sectional boiler sections. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock