Search the forum,

Discuss Potential Plumbing Issue in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon,

We are having a potential issue with our water supply underneath our kitchen unit. As you will see from the recording ( IMG_5530.MOV ), it appears that a very loud noise is emanating from the pipe.

This does not occur during any specific activity however, and can happen when we do not use the sink/toilet etc. However, we are in a block of flats and I believe the plumbing is connected so it could be when another tenant is using their water supply?

I wonder if you could listen to the recording and advise as to whether this could be a water hammer?

Do you have problems with rats in your drains in your location?

Hi Shaun, this was my first thought too. However, the landlord is adamant that it is not rats and no baits have been set off. I do know however they have had them before and took precautions, but I remain unconvinced.
[automerge]1573313092[/automerge]
RPM, if I do feel a vibration, what is likely to be the issue there?

As above, not hammer or I believe not anything to do with the water supply which is in the grey pipes.

If the main soil downpipe (stack) is to the left of the sink, it's possibly a small amount waste water (as opposed to a WC flush or sink empty) from above rattling against the outlet from your white waste pipe.

Or as ShaunC, it's some teeth trying to gnaw through the waste pipe either from inside or from outside the pipe.

One of the above answers for me but how to prove it is the Q unless you could ask somebody above to flush a toilet whilst you listen in your flat.

I wonder if you could listen to the recording and advise as to whether this could be a water hammer?
Check outside for a thin stream of water, from an overflow or leaking gutter, that is close enough to strike your drain pipe.

Do you have a condensing boiler? If so where does the condensate outlet go?

I'd be trying to get a reaction, turn the light off, make a loud noise, bang the pipe etc. See if any of those make the noise stop, if they do then you have some unwelcome guests, if not then it's probably waste water dropping down somewhere. Waste water dripping down could indicate a blockage or partial blockage somewhere if this is a new phenomenon.
Does it only happen when it's raining? Certain times of day? Does it happen less when most tenants are at work etc.?

Reply to Potential Plumbing Issue in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock