Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing design in bungalow refurbishment in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

New to this forum so I will try especially hard to be succinct. It would be so helpful to have some feedback and see if I'm anywhere close to a solution or still miles off the mark.

I am completely refurbishing a bungalow I have bought, all internal walls down, new rooms in different positions. The floor is an uninsulated groundbearing concrete slab (approx 100-150mm). I plan to run a new soil pipe under the floor, with the highest level of the 'horizontal' pipe being no higher than the underside of the slab. This new soil pipe will follow the line of the existing (removed) soil pipe but at a lower level. Please see the attached sketch, this seems like the simplest way of doing it but I am eager to get some feedback as it will almost certainly need some changes. I have two questions in particular, but welcome all constructive thoughts.

1) Being on the ground floor, without any vertical drop to help speed waste along, do I need a steeper gradient? I have currently done my workings based on 1:80, which I understood to be correct by the building regs based on anticipated peak flow and pipe size (110mm).

2) Downstream from the WC I need to connect a washbasin, shower, kitchen sink/dishwasher. My natural instinct was to use a strap/boss/adaptor (each solvent weld), however I wanted to be sure that this is suitable for a) a horizontal run, and b) underground use.

Any comments on the above and one the design in general would be much appreciated :)

Kind regards,

Chris

Attachments

• bungalow drainage sketch.pdf
    178.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks SimonG, ShaunCorbs & king of pipes for your replies.

I have started a conversation with building control about what I intend to do, so hopefully they will give me some advice soon. I don't know if they are doing visits currently?

The boss pipe connectors look good, do I need to be careful solvent welding to brown pipe or is it all the same material? I'm sure this is a classic plumbing forum question! I have read somewhere that they are not suitable for exposure to UV which makes sense, or are they brown just as a sensible colour-code?

Cheers,

Chris

If your using underground eg brown you can’t glue it only push fit

Not getting involved with underground pipe jointing methods - we only used glued fittings.

There is no vent in the system.
You will need a vent - preferably as close as to the furthest upstream fixture.
Not an AAV, but a vent to atmosphere.

Hope this helps

Reply to Plumbing design in bungalow refurbishment in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Morning All, Just after some advice as I have been asked to plumb in a sink and washing machine waste for a new kitchenette. The other side of the stud wall shown is the bathroom, with the toilet attached to the soil pipe bottom right and a small basin attached to the 32mm waste. The wall is...
Replies
Views
Planning drainage for a new bathroom. Assuming that all the falls/gradients are correct is there anything wrong with this plan? Soil pipe from toilet goes through wall below the floor level so that I can connect a shower waste (wetroom so flush with floor). On the other side of the exterior wall...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would very much appreciate some help/feedback on what I am proposing for my very small ensuite bathroom. While refurbishing it I’m proposing to add a shower. It’s just 1.2m x 1.6m. I have seen similar posts to this on the forum but not quite my situation. I am proposing to run one...
Replies
Views
Hi a quick simple question I want to add a strap boss on the main vertical soil pipe for a shower tray waste pipe but only have room and the height below the horizontal toilet soil pipe going into the soil stack It is not directly below but to the left Will this be a problem with soil waste...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock