Search the forum,

Discuss Oversized radiator in bathroom - Should I not use it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chaps

I'm currently replacing all the pipes and radiators in my house as the rads were all very old and undersized. It was a single pipe system system too, cobbled onto a modern WB combi!

Anyway, i've sized all the rads correctly for the rooms, but the bathroom one I was a bit generous with!

The room requires a 3300BTU rad, and the one i've got is 6300BTU.

My friend who is helping me install the new piping and rads says that one radiator must always be on (i.e. no TRV) and is usually in the bathroom. I've read that this is so the pump in the boiler doesn't burn out if all valves are closed.

He says that the radiator is far too big and it we will cook in there lol :)

I want to be able to use the radiator if I can, as it's a nice Stelrad Vertical which I got for a decent price, but I don't want to use it if it's impractial.

Would it be sensible to either have say the hall radiator as the one with no TRV and open valves, or have an automatic bypass valve and still use the oversized radiator (turned down on it's TRV)?

Thanks chaps!

Hall rad as the bypass one

Thanks for the comments

I should have said, i'm fitting smart valves to each radiator. I've bought the drayton wiser system which comes with a room stat, but i'm not really sure of it's purpose other than making the valves more accurate in the room it's located in.

I'll want to heat rooms on demand and also set up zones and schedules, so i'm not sure of how useful it is in my setup....

Are automatic bypass valves much cop? I've read a few reviews and a couple indicate reliability issues, is this inherent with them?

Is there any reason why I couldn't have the bathroom radiator as the control one with open valves, but just turn the valves down so it doesn't get silly hot? Surely as long as the valves are open a bit, then that's enough for the pump not to burn out?

Is there any reason why I couldn't have the bathroom radiator as the control one with open valves, but just turn the valves down so it doesn't get silly hot? Surely as long as the valves are open a bit, then that's enough for the pump not to burn out?

Bathroom rad will still overheat room if you just turn valves near off.
And even if you do have it barely heating, - what happens when you need good heat in bathroom?

Hall rad always on and a room stat in hall.

This is a good example of modern heating systems & controls becoming to complex for diy's.
If you want a correctly operating system which maximise energy savings & the return on your capital outlay please engage a pro.
You are not just paying for the installation but all the technical understanding & CPD to keep upto date in this fast changing area of the trade.

I'm a fairly competent diyer, and i can't afford to hire a professional to install it all, nor would I want to. I like doing things myself and understanding how it all works and knowing that it's been done correctly and with no bodges or shortcuts. The system is fine and correctly sized apart from one radiator which I'm asking advice on how I can sensibly utilise. If I can't then I'll just have to buy a smaller rad...

With all due respect from your post you clearly don't understand & are not doing it correctly (it is not just the rad), still that is your choice, but to come on here asking for advice & then suggesting we might "bodge it" or take shortcuts is rather disingenuous don't you think?
Smart controls need smart installers who understand the the system as a whole, it would be a shame to pay all that money for them only for them not to work correctly, that is all I am saying.

I'm not saying you would bodge it personally! Some trades do take shortcuts that I'd rather not, and if I install myself then I know it's done how I want. I can always get someone in to set up the smart system once I've done the main install, but I've got a very tech savvy friend who has set up this the same Wiser system who is going to assist so I'm sure I'll be fine. I just wanted to know about utilising the one radiator. I don't need to pay someone a lot of money to do the whole system just so I can get advice on using a single radiator...

I'm a fairly competent diyer, and i can't afford to hire a professional to install it all, nor would I want to. I like doing things myself and understanding how it all works and knowing that it's been done correctly and with no bodges or shortcuts. The system is fine and correctly sized apart from one radiator which I'm asking advice on how I can sensibly utilise. If I can't then I'll just have to buy a smaller rad...

I suppose if they can't find the answer on Youtube - they come on here!!!
And guess what - we tell them all they need to know..

I hate plumbing and heating systems and all work done by DIY people.......
There must be some out there done correctly , but I rarely come across it.

I don't understand why you guys are slating me, I asked advice on how I can utilise a radiator that is oversized. I'm happy to get the correct size rad for the room.

I'm the same, I hate diyers in my trade! But I'll still offer advice if asked. Just because I prefer to do things myself, doesn't automatically make my work rubbish. I wouldn't sleep if I let someone else do the work as I need to know it's right. If I can't figure out the right way to do something then I'll get a pro in.

I wasn't staying all pro's are shoddy, so apologies if I've offended you chaps, it wasn't my intention! :)

I'm not saying you would bodge it personally! Some trades do take shortcuts that I'd rather not, and if I install myself then I know it's done how I want. I can always get someone in to set up the smart system once I've done the main install, but I've got a very tech savvy friend who has set up this the same Wiser system who is going to assist so I'm sure I'll be fine. I just wanted to know about utilising the one radiator. I don't need to pay someone a lot of money to do the whole system just so I can get advice on using a single radiator...

“A lot of money”?
You will get a lot more than just “advice on a single radiator” if you has paid a good heating installer to do the work.

Designing a system,
including radiator sizing,
lifting floors carefully,
drilling or notching joists,
fixing rads to walls securely,
installing pipes (soldering joints if copper),
flushing system,
etc, etc,

Worth every penny.

I can tell a DIY install just by looking at part of it

I don't understand why you guys are slating me, I asked advice on how I can utilise a radiator that is oversized. I'm happy to get the correct size rad for the room.

I'm the same, I hate diyers in my trade! But I'll still offer advice if asked. Just because I prefer to do things myself, doesn't automatically make my work rubbish. I wouldn't sleep if I let someone else do the work as I need to know it's right. If I can't figure out the right way to do something then I'll get a pro in.

I wasn't staying all pro's are shoddy, so apologies if I've offended you chaps, it wasn't my intention! :)

Do you realize that every post you have posted since your Opening Post, is a sledge against us in the Plumbing & Heating Trade on here.........

What trade are you in ?
What do you hate about DIY'ers in you trade???
Enlighten Us!!!!!!!

Why do you think that you are better and more capable than most of the plumbers in here, that have at least 20 years experience.

As for saying you can do the job better and blah, blah, blah, than competent plumbers - Send in some pics of your work.

The questions you asked are very basic - no wonder you couldn't find them on Youtube

Last edited:
I didn't say I can do it better, I said I know I can trust it if I've done it. I'm more than capable of hanging radiators, lifting floors, drilling joists in the correct places etc, and to get a neat job done I'll go the extra mile, whereas a tradesman might not as they are on a price and therefore time limit. So why would I pay someone to do work that I can do myself to a good standard?

I said sorry if I've offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. If you still have your knickers in a twist about me asking for advice on utilising a radiator then please chill out a bit, life is too short! :)

Life is too short to be attempting DIY largish plumbing jobs when a decent plumber can do it quicker and better....
:confused:

Long story short - from your threads....

You can do a better job than any Tradesman.. and you trust yourself to do a better job than a plumber installing your heating system.

You didn't mention your Trade.

They would do it much much faster than I can, but my free time is limited. Couldn't afford to get someone in as it would cost a fortune, I've had to do a lot of invasive work routing pipes the best way

Lol I don't need to prove myself to a stranger, I asked for some advice and thank you to the people who tried to help. Those that said get a professional in, thanks too, but it's not practical for me, plus I'd rather do what I can myself :)

Last edited:
That’s enough lads ops heard the options / suggestions and picked what he wants to do

Respect that decision

Closed for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oversized radiator in bathroom - Should I not use it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a slightly undersized radiator in my living room. The calculation says 6315 btus and my rad is 6019 btus. It was a replacement radiator, the same size as the previous one (so pipes were in the right place). There is a gas fire in the room as well. Should this undersizing cause a problem...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators all together in one large room. The issue is with the 4 radiators in the large room. Basically not getting hot, the first 10% of the radiator is...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock