Search the forum,

Discuss overflow pipe... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
think i remember my boss saying not all overflow pipe is compatible. osma fittings won't go on other types etc...

haven't dealt much with overflow pipes.

got a job tomorrow, leaking elbow on saniflow waste-pipe. never seen or dealt with one of these before, had a look. waste pipe looks just like normal overflow pipe. but can i use any bog-standard solvent-weld overflow pipe to re-pipe? or do i need the specific type?

thanks

The ordinary 22mm white overflow pipe and fittings is best - not to be confused with white John Guess speedfit pipe and fittings. Also the standard solvent used on soil pipe/clip-on bosses is what I'd normally use without any problems, rem it goes off fairly quick. Put sufficient solvent around both pipe endings and inside both ends of the fitting and around the outer joints when pushed fully home wipe off excess.

Notes: Dont bung it up with solvent as this may restrict the follow. Ask punter when it was installed and when it was last serviced by a saniflo engr. Be aware 90 degree bends (copper and plastic arent permitted on saniflo products!).

Hello,

Thanks for the info. The main thing I was wanting to be sure of was whether I needed to know the brand of overflow pipe used before I could join onto it with new overflow fittings and pipe.

I thought I remembered being told that some brands (osma I think being one) wouldn't fit in other fittings?

Yes Water tight I think they do vary in size. You would have to know the size and brand of the pipe fitted.

Most overflow pipes are 21.5mm but Osma and Hunter are slightly larger.
You can get adaptors to suit or you could always gently heat it until it softens and carefully insert a cutting of your size o/f in to make a tight fitting socket.

Thanks guys.

I'll go along with standard overflow and if too loose go off and buy a few bits by the other two brands. I'm guessing they stock all of them at a good plumber's merchant?

75% of the jobs I've been doing have involved me being forced to buy more stuff than I need just to avoid having to go back and forth. I always wondered how plumbers afforded to kit themselves up. Now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to overflow pipe... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock