Search the forum,

Discuss overflow pipe dripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rio890

Hi, we have a combination water tank on our 3rd floor flat (no gas, it's all electric). so the cold water tank is directly over the hot water tank in the cupboard - which is why we have low pressure. There is a slow drip coming from the over flow pipe. However when we looked at it over the weekend it had stopped and the water in the tank was below the level. however it's dripping again. So what I need to know is would changing the ball valve resolve the problem? how will I know that the ball valve is causing the problem? We made a small bending adjustment on the arm (as it's metal) but that doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. Are we able to adjust a bit more?

Hi. Yes but be cautious it may snap off in your hand. It takes two hands to bend the arm, take leverage away from fulcrum point. Changing the valve is easy in most cases. if it has a large nut on the inside of the cistern. Get a valve the same undo the nut on new and old (making sure not to lose red washer) and just replace this part. Saves taking the whole valve out. And put a small bend in the arm prior to fitting. Good Luck

When you draw off hot water, level initially drops, then being topped up as float has dropped allowing fresh water in to header, if faulty the water level may rise when you haven't drawn any hot water off for a while.

i went to a similar problem on friday, the ball valve was passing intermittently so i just replaced it.

KJ

hmm that is what I was thinking if the hot water hasn't been used for a while. Because that day our tenant had just had a bath so over flow pipe wasn't leaking. But yesterday it was. Most of the time the tenant isn't in the flat as he works fulltime but then is out to northants and stays over. If this is the case that water is being used that often what is the resolution?

Probably best to put in complete ball valve. You need to isolate supply and undo connection, undo nuts holding ballvalve in place refit and place a new washer between valve and pipework.set water level to about 25mm below overflow pipe.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to overflow pipe dripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock