Search the forum,

Discuss Ongoing Overflow Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am seeking help on an ongoing overflow issue I have. I'll give as much information as I can based on my limited knowledge of systems. Our system has the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, and is fed by a large water storage/feeder tank above it. Our cold water is fed directly from the mains water supply although we do have a smaller water storage tank alongside the large one but I'm not sure what this does- and the leak is not coming from here.

The overflow pipe from the hot water feeder tank starts leaking every year when we start to use the central heating; everyone constantly tells me that this is the ballcock valve which I disagree with as we have no issues from March-September when we don't use the central heating system. The common trigger here is when we start to use the central heating with regularity. Is there a way that the hot water cylinder can be 'backflowing' the storage tank causing this to overflow? The water that leaks is cold but it definitely comes out of the white plastic overflow pipe which feeds out of the larger tank that provides our hot water.

I'm at a bit of a loss, as we have changed the ballcock valve on many occasions due to advice we've been given but I am absolutely convinced this is not the cause.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Is there a dripp from the pipe that goes above your plastic tank and drops back into said tank

Your other little one is for the heating (to fill and vent)

And any chance of a few pics of the tanks and airing cupboard

Hello, I have attached the images for you.

There is no drip back into the feeder tank; the top of it is covered.

Rgds,

Mark

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I'd check a few things;

Is the overflow hole in the tank too low, does it allow for expansion of the system when its is heated.

Is the cylinder thermostat faulty, causing the hot water to be excessively hot.

Is the 2 port or 3 port valve working correctly, does it shut off after the hot water demand is satisfied.

My guess would be the system is excessively hot, it expands, the water level rises and flows out of the possibly low overflow connection in the tank.

One rare possibility is back flow across the hot and cold pipes causing the tank to fill from its cold water outlet.

Is the water level in the large storage tank normally very close to bottom of overflow outlet?
Also, - Is the vent pipe (that comes from the top of copper cylinder and up into loft) a lot higher above the cold storage tank, before it drops down to well above water level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ongoing Overflow Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock