Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Burner Control Box - What is wrong with it? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have a Riello RDB2 and it gets power, tries to fire but no spark or flame and the red light on the push button comes back on. Smoke comes out of the control box.

There is a fire valve over the burner and the plastic cover was off the burner, the fire valve leaked and oil leaked onto the control box. Now when you try to turn on the heating the system tries, fails, red light comes on and slight smoke is seen coming from the control box. So I surmised that oil has got into the control box and when power goes through it as it tries to fire this is heating the oil that must be sitting in wires/electrical connections and causing smoke.

I can easily get a control box and fit it but before I do I would like to know what has likely happened the control box as it still has power. So what part inside of this box has gone awry? that is if it is the box at all, but it seems most likely.

thanks

If there's power to the box and it goes through its starting sequence and tries to ignite then that tells me the motor circuit, photocell circuit and coil side is OK. I suspect the transformer has blown based on the above, which obviously won't provide a spark for ignition. If I wanted to be sure of that I would check it but its not something I'm going to advise a homeowner such as yourself to do.

If there's power to the box and it goes through its starting sequence and tries to ignite then that tells me the motor circuit, photocell circuit and coil side is OK. I suspect the transformer has blown based on the above, which obviously won't provide a spark for ignition. If I wanted to be sure of that I would check it but its not something I'm going to advise a homeowner such as yourself to do.
Thanks. I believe the ignition transformer is part of the control box for the Riello RDB2.2 burner?
[automerge]1597765562[/automerge]
Thanks. I believe the ignition transformer is part of the control box for the Riello RDB2.2 burner?
i.e. Fitting the control box would cover any transformer issue?

[automerge]1597765562[/automerge]

i.e. Fitting the control box would cover any transformer issue?

Yes the transformer and control box are a complete unit on the RDB burners. As Simon mentioned above though if you source a replacement make sure its the correct model, there's digital and analogue versions. Although as a temporary solution I have seen digital in place of an analogue but its not a permanent solution.
IF it is the transformer then replacing the box will do you but if i was attending I would run all neccessary checks to prove that and to see if anything else is going on as without seeing it I cant be sure of what or more importantly is not happening.

Yes the transformer and control box are a complete unit on the RDB burners. As Simon mentioned above though if you source a replacement make sure its the correct model, there's digital and analogue versions. Although as a temporary solution I have seen digital in place of an analogue but its not a permanent solution.
IF it is the transformer then replacing the box will do you but if i was attending I would run all neccessary checks to prove that and to see if anything else is going on as without seeing it I cant be sure of what or more importantly is not happening.
the control box is off and I think the problem is obvious. the little thing sitting on top of the control box was running around loose inside not sure what it is a capacitor resistor not sure
[automerge]1598687303[/automerge]
the control box is off and I think the problem is obvious. the little thing sitting on top of the control box was running around loose inside not sure what it is a capacitor resistor not sure
Before I connect the new control box I just want to make sure of one thing, the two wires coming out of the burner into the back of the control box, does it matter which goes to which connection at the back of the control box?
[automerge]1598687553[/automerge]
Here they are
[automerge]1598687605[/automerge]
[automerge]1598687303[/automerge]

Before I connect the new control box I just want to make sure of one thing, the two wires coming out of the burner into the back of the control box, does it matter which goes to which connection at the back of the control box?
[automerge]1598687553[/automerge]
Here they are
Sorry, connection issues and too many photos posted up

Attachments

• 15986835239392984456160107891120.jpg
    15986835239392984456160107891120.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 15986873616367103252804124695704.jpg
    15986873616367103252804124695704.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 15986874185735103894404196692334.jpg
    15986874185735103894404196692334.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200829_085208.jpg
    20200829_085208.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The connection of the HT leads shouldn't matter. If you were to get the two mixed up then the secondary side will just be 180° out of phase with the primary. It will still work, just in reverse. Thats my understanding anyway

Reply to Oil Burner Control Box - What is wrong with it? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock