Search the forum,

Discuss Oil and Renewable Heating Show in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontknowitall

This is on in Coventry next week (28th and 29th October 2010).

I'm going, which probably now means everyone else won't be going!!

You can register online (for free). Not sure what this does but if it knocks a few pennies of the entrance fee or something similar it might be worth it.

I think it's the first show of its kind but there are some decent sponsors there.

(This is not spam - at least it's not intended to be. I've no connection with the organisers or anything like that. Just thought I'd mention it as a reminder in case you saw an advert for it a few weeks ago and had now forgotten about it.)

Long way for me cocker.......

But I'll look out for it if and when it comes over here....

This is on in Coventry next week (28th and 29th October 2010).

I'm going, which probably now means everyone else won't be going!!

You can register online (for free). Not sure what this does but if it knocks a few pennies of the entrance fee or something similar it might be worth it.

I think it's the first show of its kind but there are some decent sponsors there.

(This is not spam - at least it's not intended to be. I've no connection with the organisers or anything like that. Just thought I'd mention it as a reminder in case you saw an advert for it a few weeks ago and had now forgotten about it.)

Just out of interest did you go and how was the show, informative or not

Quite informative but not brilliant if I have to be honest. There is a bio fuel coming in which you might have read about. There were various talks with question and answer sessions but I didn't learn that much.

My cynical side was working overtime though. It seems that whatever stand you went to, they all insisted that there's was the best renewable system and it would only cost ... (minimum £3,000). They asked how much to install a boiler and I told them around £2,800 so then they said their price was only £200 more. When pushed though, they had not included the price of an unvented cylinder or a day's electrician prices or the extra plumbing involved with their system.

Apparently an air to air system was fantastic. Then the biofuels was the way to go. Then the solar thermal panels. Then, on another stand: "You find us the customer, we'll design the system for you and you can install it". How much? £4,000. What does that cover? Just the design. Hmm. Then another stand with air to air - ours is the best, as you won't need anything else. Then OFTEC says that converting to biofuels only costs £2,000. Around £1,500 for the tank and £100 for a new fuel pump for the boiler and £400 labour. But it still uses oil so not that renewable in my opinion.

I was well confused by the end and found the whole lot relies on feed-in-tariffs and government grants, etc. I'm vaguely thinking of going to the next one in May but I probably won't as I think I learned as much as I will ever know about it last October.

The thing that gets me though is I want to move into this renewables area but I just don't think there's a realistic market at the moment and each year that goes by throws more CO2 into the atmosphere than we really need to.

to be honest that is the problem with shows I been to quite a few and as I have learned more through installation and doing trouble shooting I can not believe some of the cowpats that a lot of these reps spout, especially on COP figures energy savings, and the RHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil and Renewable Heating Show in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
We have an old cottage which has a wet system and oil fired boiler which were here when we moved in 12 years ago. I want to install a couple of new rads but before I do I decided to familiarise myself with the system layout. What puzzles me is that the feed tank is in the attic, and the on...
Replies
Views
P
J
Hi Guys New to the forum, I could do with some info. Have been to a job in last couple of weeks where the customer has had a new indirect cylinder fitted to a gravity hw and pumped heating system ( abit naughty I know). Customer says that when hw is on in the afternoon it boils and bangs but...
Replies
Views
jackso
J
P
Hi folks, I have a plumbing conundrum in my new house and was after some advice and explanation of the defect. Type 'Y' Plan system, Potterton FF40 boiler (2002), grundfos pump (2008) located in an upstairs bedroom cylinder cupboard. Original system was warm air heating, boiler new install...
Replies
Views
Bernie2
B
I
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm a keen and competent DIYer. Lots of good info on here but I've had to admit defeat so my first post is asking for help :) We have an open vented central heating system comprising a Baxi Solo PF2 60, 16 radiators and an unvented cylinder. The system has been...
Replies
Views
Connor Williams
C
B
I mainly do oil boilers and small plumbing jobs, so here goes. Need some help with a domestic central heating system. Its a two storey house with open vented F&E tank in the attic, copper cylinder in hotpress upstairs. Oil boiler supplying 19 rads with DHW and or CH switched from the timer...
Replies
Views
boilerjoe
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock