Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie needing help. :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrwinkywoo

Ok, this has baffled me and I really don't know where else to look.

My downstairs radiators, and downstairs only won't work. They're all fed from seperate radiators from upstairs, but none will work. Upstairs, they're great..all roastin' hot.

Anyone any ideas? Someone please help, 'cos the cold weathers comin in.:(

Possibly your pump has stopped pumping. Hot water rises so will heat upstairs.

Blah, managed to isolate the problem to the pump. So I've fitted a new one tonight, but whenever I turn the heating on the pump squeals proper bad. any ideas? lol

Ok, sorry nevermind. Turned out to be air in the pump, just needed to release the vent thing on top and it's spinning away brilliantly now. I know this one's working anyway cos I can hear to rotor spinning, which is more than the other one so it was f///ed. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Blahhh, the downstairs radiators still aren't heating up. I can't think of anything else it could be...

All working!! Turned upstairs rads off, seems to have forced its way down now. All is well. Cheers!

Ok, so not so good news. After the above post last night, with the downstairs radiators proper hot, I decided to turn all upstairs ones back on too and run them all. Not long after, the downstairs ones started going cold from the bottom, working upward. After an hour or so they were pretty much off. Am I right in thinking this is just like a sludge backup in the rads? I should mention that they haven't worked for the past 2yrs.

Still the pump I reckon!! Presumably everything was working fine until a day or so ago?

Hmm!

Could be a few things. But if you turn upstairs rads off and the downstairs come on. It does not seem to be a sludge problem?

If the upstairs rads have been removed for decorating the chances are they have not been balanced when put back.

Adjust lockshields to sort out flow to both sets of rads.

Not knowing the size of house, is the new pump the correct head? i.e. Is it powerful enough to push the water around the system? Is it set to low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie needing help. :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators all together in one large room. The issue is with the 4 radiators in the large room. Basically not getting hot, the first 10% of the radiator is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock