Search the forum,

Discuss New Lever tap for kitchen query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning,
I am not able to take photos of the following query but will describe it in as much detail as possible. At the moment I have an old style mixer tap in the kitchen (the one where you turn the handles) and the pipework seems fine (white pipes/wastepipe etc) the copper ones linked to the tap look a little green as does the bronze stopcock. valve.
Due to having trouble using the turning taps I want a lever tap installed;

I would like to know on the copper pipes should a Non Return Valve or Single Check Valves be installed?
Are flexi hose pipes okay to be attached under the sink to the copper pipes?

I would like the pipework and its fixings to be current with building regulations, so anything that should be there I would appreciate knowing about so I can tell the plumber what I want.
Any information or advice would be appreciated thank you

What hot water system do you have? Combi? Unvented? Or Vented with an airing cupboard?

Taps need to be suitable for the pressure you have.

Hi thanks for the reply, I have a brand new combi boiler in the kitchen and the water is cold mains fed. I believe about 10 or more years ago there was a water tank in the flat but was removed ages ago as I just moved in a few months ago.
That is one of the reasons I would like to change the kitchen tap and ensure it is updated with todays regulations besides the current tap is leaking and isn't working as well as it should, thanks.

If you have a combi, you can fit taps with ceramic or washer valves. It's good practice to fit service valves to the supply's for maintaining purposes. If you fit a tap with a pull out spout, a non return valve should be fitted. Also taps that are not bi-flow mixers, imported taps can fall into this category.

Good morning I was reading the answer in bold at the bottom of the page and wondered if it would apply to my situation and which fittings should be installed to the kitchen sink pipes.
My cold water is fed via the mains and my hot is via the combi boiler, at the moment the kitchen tap needs to be replaced the copper pipes don't have any isolation valves/check valves or NRV on them.
I read the following and would appreciate it if someone could offer advice and point me in the right direction.
For my own education what are fluid risk categories and how do they impact you? thank you.

"You require single check valves on each feed even though they are the same pressure. Section 6 R15.13.2.a second paragraph. Where a combination tap or mixer with water mixing in the body is used with balanced pressures (that is, both inlets are fed from supply pipes or both are from storage) the cold side' is now rated as fluid risk category 1, and the 'hot side' is now rated fluid risk category 2, and single check valves should therefore - according to the Regulations - be installed on both sides."

Reply to New Lever tap for kitchen query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a leak on my kitchen tap it is coming out off the bottom of the cold lever. How do I get the lever off? Also would this tap have a cartridge in the cold & hot or will it be just tap has had it & I need to get a new one?
Replies
Views
Hi I bought a basin tap single lever. It lifts up & to the right but won’t turn to the left for hot I haven installed it yet I’ve only put it on my worktop.
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I need to replace the kitchen tap, all my neighbours have two single taps in their kitchen and bathroom whereas I have a single lever tap in the bathroom and kitchen. Due to living in a flat and having a shared water supply I was advised to get a dual flow tap for the kitchen so...
Replies
Views
I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from Screwfix but it hasn’t solved the problem it still drips. Could it be a dodgy valve or is it something else? Thanks
Replies
Views
I would appreciate any advice on how to reattach the lever on the Kitchen tap (see pictures). There is no grub screw hole on the level and the end does not unscrew so I am at a loss as to how to reattach it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock