Search the forum,

Discuss New Combi Boiler Problems - Lukewarm Hot Water & Hammering Pipe/cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrismw1989

Hi,

I am slowly loosing patience with our new combi boiler!

We had a new combi boiler installed last week, changing from a conventional boiler and cylinder. The new boiler is a Valiant Ecotec Plus 831.

We have a 3 bed semi detached house with 1 bathroom, and was advised this is the correct size boiler to go from.

We are however having a couple of problems:

1. Luke Warm hot water to our bathroom. From the kitchen tap we seem to get reasonably hot water (though not scolding), however the bathroom hot water does not really feel that hot, more just warm.

The shower we can just about cope with for the time being, however if we try to run a bath the hot tap is just mildly warm and nowhere near hot enough for a bath!

Why might this be? Even with the tap only turned on part way it does not seem to help!!

2. Hammering noise to the pipework after heating has been running for a while. If we adjust the thermostat on one of the radiators however it stops the hammering noise?

Why might this be? I have bled the air from all of the radiators and it continues to happen. Do i need to drain down the system and refill?

3. Some radiators hot/cold. We are experiencing a problem where some of the radiators are boiling hot and others freezing cold, even with all thermostats turned upto full.

Could this be linked to the above issue with the hammering radiators/pipes?

Any help appreciated!

Heating;
I would hazard a guess and say the heating piping has been connected the wrong way to the boiler.

As for the luke warm water in some hot tap outlets, it most probably is a tap related issue, although it could be a boiler commissioning issue.

Installed last week!

why haven't you called the installer?
Could be under gassed, that boiler should do 11-13 litres a min.

The water won't be "scalding" because it's not meant to be.

if you're unhappy call back the installer.

Hi

Why might this be? I have bled the air from all of the radiators and it continues to happen. Do i need to drain down the system and refill?

As AP said if your not happy then call them back but first repeat 20 times after me ...
I DID NOT BLEED THE AIR OUT OF ANY RADIATOR, I HAVE NOT TOUCHED ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot water from a combination boiler will not be as hot as your old tank and cylinder system. The boiler can produce a certain temp rise on your cold mains temp at a certain flow rate of water. so the slower the water runs through the boiler and out the tap the hotter the water can be. This of course all depends on how well the boiler was installed, set up.

As for the heating it sounds like you have a faulty radiator valve or its an older type of valve that only works correctly on the flow side of the radiator. This is easy to tell as its the valve on the rad that gets hot first.

the other issues with your rads are probably down to a balacing issue or incorrectly positioned room thermostat.

Most issues like your are describing are installer error or poor comunication. Ask your installer to pop around and discus your concerns.

Sounds like it's a poor installation and not a boiler issue. You can turn the temp of the hot water up by following the user guide that came with the boiler...assuming the installer left it there. He should have gone over all the user adjustable features with you. It baffles me that any engineer would leave a job like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Combi Boiler Problems - Lukewarm Hot Water & Hammering Pipe/cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock