Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler, what's the average? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, hope I've posted in t he right area.

I have an old potterton conventional boiler that I am looking to get replaced. (HWC CWST etc..) our aim was to look in to getting a combi, just as the impression is they're more efficient etc..

We had a BG rep round recently to quote, he suggested sticking with conventional and going for a glowworm (space I'm kitchen and vent position is better and also pressure is ball park 1psi or 12 litres a minute) with a hive and a fancy magnet filter thing. All in quoted £2850 and 1-2 days to do the work.

Now my questions are... Firstly, is that a reasonable price. It's kind of in the ball park of what we expected but we where accounting for a combi install and removal of HWC etc.. This seems a bit high given it will be a direct boiler replacement.

Secondly, is a conventional equal to or a better option than the combi?

Many thanks for insight, I'm contemplating getting a local company in to quote as well to compare but I want to get past the sales tactics of BG and assess whether what he's quoted is reasonable and accurate.

Many thanks!!

Pricing varies by location, hard to say without physically looking at the job, does that include a flush? How many rads? Bg will usually be pretty steep regardless, I'd always recommend getting a local company with a good reputation around for a quote anyway. As for better or equal that depends on so many factors, any new boiler will be more efficient due to the time we live in.

i would expect a boiler to cost under £1000. On that basis they are charging you £1000 per day installation charges.
You can't look at it like that, as you have no idea of inividual business overheads. plus With a flush alone you're looking at a starting price of around £400, new controls? Pipe? Valves and fittings? Filter?

you need to decide what system you want, theres plenty of info on the web.Then get quotes ,BG will recomend the system and boiler they make the most profit on personally i dislike glow worms now plastic tat take a look at the intergas boilers all metal with most of the common failure components removed between 6 and ten years warranty
also check warranties bg boilers dont always come with the same as we get but they sign you up to their insurance schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler, what's the average? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock