Search the forum,

Discuss Need some advice about NVQ in Plumbing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I attended college a couple of years ago and came out with a Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing & Heating. This was after two years of studying part time in the evenings around my normal job.

The lecturers said that the next step would be to seek employment in the trade and take the NVQ or else I could not get employed as a Plumber onsite.

I have just looked at the cost of the NVQ assessment and it is around £1400 to sit the course at College and two site visits.

Is there a better way to do this because I don't want to have to go back to College in order to take more exams when I already have a Level 2 Diploma. That's like doubling up on the theory again, it's the practical side of things that I need evidencing.

I need to someone to take me on, so I can build my portfolio, and get an assessor to come out and look at it.

Please can you help

Thanks

Hi.

Im currently at Bradford college doing an adult learning evening course which is a level 2 plumbing and heating city and guilds qualification. I assume thats tbe one you did a few years ago?

I was told by our tutor that the NVQ which is the on-site assessment is £400.

Which college were you at?

Hi, I'm not at College anymore. I finished about two years ago but I want to complete my course and the only way I can do that is by getting employed as a Plumbers mate and having an NVQ assessor sign off my work.

The problem is that some Colleges want you to sign up for a years course at the cost of £1400. I think these are what they call fast track full time courses that give you the NVQ at the end.

But I already have the Level 2 Heating and Diploma so I don't see why I have to do all the theory again if you see what I mean.

I just need to ask them to come out and look at my work.

You might have to do the same.

I am based in South East of England in Berkshire.

Thanks

Hi, I'm not at College anymore. I finished about two years ago but I want to complete my course and the only way I can do that is by getting employed as a Plumbers mate and having an NVQ assessor sign off my work.

The problem is that some Colleges want you to sign up for a years course at the cost of £1400. I think these are what they call fast track full time courses that give you the NVQ at the end.

But I already have the Level 2 Heating and Diploma so I don't see why I have to do all the theory again if you see what I mean.

I just need to ask them to come out and look at my work.

You might have to do the same.

I am based in South East of England in Berkshire.

Thanks

Hmm I see. Could you email city and guilds about this? They might be able to point you in the right direction/quickest route to get an nvq.

What you need to gain an NVQ 6189 L2 is shown in the attached matrix. It is called APL & you should just need to do the units shown.
Not having a go, more for others reading after- Why -o-why did you not find all this out before you signed up for these courses?

Attachments

• 6035_6189_Plumbing_level_2_APL_matrix_v5 pdf.pdf
    89.4 KB · Views: 153
Hmm I see. Could you email city and guilds about this? They might be able to point you in the right direction/quickest route to get an nvq.

I have the EAL Diploma.

This is what I mean, see this link NVQ Level 2 Plumbing Assessments

If you already have a Level 2 then you don't need to do any of the theory work again. Your existing Level 2 should be enough to meet the requirements and all you need is the portfolio part where they come out and look at your work on site.

But if you don't have a Level 2 cert you will need to do the C&G 6035. I assume that is the C&G course that you are on?

The price for for those with Plumbing qualifications, the cost to achieve NVQ level 2 will be £1495.00 based on 2 site visits.

If you have completed your level 2 Plumbing qualification with Able Skills, the cost will be £1295.00.

For those without Plumbing qualifications, the cost will be £2670.00 to achieve the C&G 6035 and C&G 6189 level 2 NVQ.

It's all a bit confusing as there are multiple routes. But it looks like you will probably need the same as me to get your NVQ by going in as Plumber with qualifications.

Hi Chris,

Thanks but that makes no sense to me as I have the EAL level 2 Diploma.

I remember that our Lecturers at the time didn't know because everything was changing and it was new to them. So it's not a case that we didn't try to find out. These things are not easy and Gas Course is even worse. Corgi, Gas Safe, ACS or whatever it is called now. Some of the routes are names can be baffling.

If you are investing that sort of money (and of course your time to do the course) I would be dame sure to find out beforehand.
Let me help a bit with the gas -
Unless you have an NVQ & can work along side a Gas Safe Registered Engineer who is installing (& servicing) a range of appliances for couple of months you will find it almost impossible to complete & pass the ACS initial exams and log the required hours to apply for your Gas Safe Registration which is the legal requirement to work on gas systems & appliances. Even after registration with will site inspected to ensure you are up to scratch.
From the 1st April 2009 CORGI was replaced by Gas Safe in terms of running the regulation scheme, coming up to 10 years ago so not that long ago.
EAL qual has the same units as C&G even if they are numbered differently i.e. H&C, Above ground sanitation, H&S & Science

Reply to Need some advice about NVQ in Plumbing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ level 2 plumbing and Heating and then further on to gas engineering. I work full time (Self-employed) and have been a successful Chef for 35 years but have no experience in the plumbing and gas industry. I have a car (clean licence) a good attitude and...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock