Search the forum,

Discuss Need plumbing advice for my daughter in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello there

I'm wondering if anyone can advise. My daughter has had problems with what sounds like a water hammer issue coming from a neighbouring flat, the people in that flat have ignored attempts she has made to communicate.

Here's how she describes the problem: You are hearing a lot of thumps / bangs...........widely spaced apart, but they sound like something is being switched or turned on or off at those times. In between times you get vibration of her floor and bed. These neighbours are often in their bathroom getting ready to go to work at 4 and 5 am or coming home from a late shift around 2 am, so her sleep is being disturbed.

My daughter did speak to the building management and they got a plumber to go into the flat with the noise, but my daughter said he spoke to her first and it was very clear that he was very skeptical of the whole thing. The reason is that the flat where the vibration is coming from is on a ground floor and my daughter's flat is next door and one floor up. She's on the first floor, they are on the ground floor and also next door.

She wants to report back to the management again but I've suggested that the problem she's up against is she's not believed. I suggested she find herself a plumber that actually thinks her account of the problem is totally plausible and then ask them to put that in writing and then she can approach the management, or shes just going to be reporting and reporting and no one is going to be listening.

She's absolutely certain of this, she told me it happened again last night at 11 pm, there was droning, banging, vibration and because it was hot she had her window open, she looked out and the only light on in the complex was this flat's bathroom light. They are in a very small complex, so I'm inclined to believe that she's correct in her observation.

Any advice or thoughts on what I've suggested to her about getting a plumber to back her up? Or any other thoughts on what could be happening? Thanks.

Water hammer is a very real problem in some installs and if she's not using any outlets or appliances when the noises are occuring it has to be coming from elsewhere. Sounds like she's narrowed it down to the general location it is coming from.

The smartphone will be her friend with this one. She really needs to record this when it's happening as Gasmk1 sensibly suggests. It'll be a lot harder for the building management to ignore her pleas when there is proper evidence which can be recorded and shared.

There’s several reasons why a plumbing system can be noisy, in effect water hammer etc.

Pipework: - velocity in the pipes can be noisy, unsecured pipes can rattle and bang (and cause leaks to occur).

Maintenance (Or rather lack of) on parts: float valves to cold water storage cisterns, if the washer has failed, these sound extremely noisy (a lot of customers describe them as a ships horn). So these are in some toilet cisterns and lofts if they’re on an open vented hot water and or heating system.

Taps - loose jumpers on taps, stopcock, and failing 1/4 turn tyoes can cause loud noises

failing 1/4 turn tyoes can cause loud noises

My gran phoned me just the other day with an horrific screeching and vibrating sound coming from the oil combi boiler so I went to take a look. I went straight to the cold feed and tweaked the service valve and was able to stop the noise. Changed it for a new one and problem solved.

It illustrates how something so simple can make so much noise.

Thanks for the responses. She's not able to record the vibration as she can only feel it, but she has recorded the bangs and she's also got a video of a bottle of water 'rippling' when the vibration is happening.

I think everyone's right. She needs some hard evidence like that and then it cannot be ignored. It will be simple but so easy for people to ignore a young woman living on her own.

Thanks again.

Reply to Need plumbing advice for my daughter in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My step daughter was ripped off by a cowboy builder so I’ve been helping her out and fittted her two radiator. I’ve no idea what is under some of the floors or in the walls but since flushing it all out and starting the combi up she’s been having problems with her heating. She reckons the...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock