Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery drain cover query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a strange drain cover that looks like a spout in my front garden. See pics. I've always thought it looks like something from the tellytubbies. Its a couple of feet from the main manhole at the entrance to my property. I don't know what it's for but I assume it's some kind of vent.

I need to widen my driveway a bit and this thing will get in the way. I thought I could replace it with a flat cast iron drain cover so it's strong enough to drive over. Been to city plumbing and Travis Perkins but they didn't have a clue.

The pipe it goes into is a 4 inch pipe.

Any suggestions on what I can replace it with?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_123042.jpg
    IMG_20191231_123042.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20191231_105945.jpg
    IMG_20191231_105945.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20191231_105951.jpg
    IMG_20191231_105951.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 14
I would say vent or maybe crude gully if the ground floods ?

looks like an old rainwater connector hence the tabs for fixing to your house

I have a strange drain cover that looks like a spout in my front garden. See pics. I've always thought it looks like something from the tellytubbies. Its a couple of feet from the main manhole at the entrance to my property. I don't know what it's for but I assume it's some kind of vent.

I need to widen my driveway a bit and this thing will get in the way. I thought I could replace it with a flat cast iron drain cover so it's strong enough to drive over. Been to city plumbing and Travis Perkins but they didn't have a clue.

The pipe it goes into is a 4 inch pipe.

Any suggestions on what I can replace it with?

Thanks in advance.
Stick a hose in it at full pressure for ages like all day and see what happens. If it goes somewhere you will find out and if it does not it will back up...its easy centralheatking it looks like a septic tank vent ..others might chip in...thats what PF is about ....chk

Before foul drains had stacks with vents, the 1st manhole from the street had a trap on its exit.
What you have is a vent for the manhole which would probably originally have been fitted and fixed higher up a wall or fence.
If you have a vented stack fixed to the house, you don't need the "Tellytubby".

The end of the pipe leading to it should be visible in the manhole, buy an expanding bung and seal it off in the manhole, then break up the unwanted pipe.

As CHK above, use water to find the other end.

Bung.PNG

Last edited:
I don't know what it's for but I assume it's some kind of vent.
The fitting looks to me like an air vent that has lost its grill and flap. See, for example:

You need to establish what the purpose of the pipe is first. My guess is that either goes to a soakaway to take runoff from the drive, or it's an air inlet for the sewer. It may even be a botch that serves both purposes, which explains why someone has taken the grill off.

I always start with simple tests first. In this case take the cover off the 'main manhole' and pour a bucket of water down the mystery pipe to see if they are joined. If you know the previous owners of the house, ask them if they know what it is.

Tbh I would be tempted to just replace it like for like eg chucks link

Or paint your one and find a piece of mesh eg b andq

Reply to Mystery drain cover query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock