Search the forum,

Discuss Main water valve, cannot find it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I have just bought a flat in an old tenement building in Edinburgh. I was trying to close the cold and hot water for the tap in the kitchen so i searched underneath the sink, but there are no valves attached to the two pipes that go in the tap. I have followed the pipes and they go through a wall in the storage room (I guess it was the place where the old water tank was stored) and then the pipes go underneath the floor. In the same storage room there is a hole in the floor with the thing in the pitures. Is that the main valve for the water supply? I have tried to turn clockwise but it is stuck, is there a way to turn it off? Another question is, how do i turn off the hot water? i cannot find any valve for it.
thank you so much.

PHOTO_20190227_200243.jpg

PHOTO_20190227_200237.jpg

A hole in wood with something behind it is usually a sign of an isolating valve but I can't make out from the pictures.
How did you try and move it, with a screwdriver?

Bs2580 as printed on the side of the valve handle conforms to plug cocks for underground cold water services. So yes it's quite possibly the valve to isolate your incoming main, and it's likely seized as it's probably not been moved in a long time.

Bs2580 as printed on the side of the valve handle conforms to plug cocks for underground cold water services. So yes it's quite possibly the valve to isolate your incoming main, and it's likely seized as it's probably not been moved in a long time.
Thank you Craig. How can I change the kitchen tap if I cannot close the cold water and hot water. Is there any possibility to get the valve to work again? Thanks

You could spray it with a penetrating fluid like wd40 and carefully try to close the valve, you have to be careful though as you can snap the spindle.

If your in a flat, does the building have a main water service to isolate the whole building?

A hole in wood with something behind it is usually a sign of an isolating valve but I can't make out from the pictures.
How did you try and move it, with a screwdriver?

It is a laminated wood floor. I have tried to spray WD40 and turn with a pliers, but it doesn't move at all.

If your in a flat, does the building have a main water service to isolate the whole building?

I guess there is one, but there are 15 flats in the building and i don't know if i can take the water away from all. Can i contact the water supply? (which means Edinburgh council or Scottish water?)

There might be a "knack" to turning it. If not you're probably going to need to switch off the building and put in a stopcock.

Do you have a communal meter room? Have a look in there.

Are you on a water meter? If so there should be an isolation valve near that.

Finally I assume you pay a service charge to the company get them in to investigate.

Yes, in Edinburgh you pay an amount for water to the Council based on the size of the house. So there is no meter for private, just for shops etc...
I don't know if in Edinburgh the company in charge is the council or Scottish water. That is what i would like to know in order to contact the correct people.
Thanks.

Any quality engineer will be able to sort you out it would probably mean removing the unit, I would use a electric freezing machine which forms a ice plug in the pipework enabling the replacement of the stopcock the only other option is to isolate the whole tenement block. Kop

Hi Kop, thanks for the information. It's going to be a big job so, they have to take out the laminated floor :(. The thing is that the bathroom in the flat is relatively new, maybe 4/5 years. Before the work in the bathroom, they had to turn off the water I think. Can a valve get stuck in this amount of time?

Hi Sarah,

Yes valves can seize in that space of time as they are not usually maintained or used. There could also be a stopcock located somewhere in the flat just not where you would normally expect. Usually, depending on design with flats it’s common to have one located externally to the flat in a duct with an access panel - although please be aware of any potential issues such as asbestos.

The valve you are looking at may not be in use any more

Could be true, because the pipe coming from the kitchen tap and that valve on the floor they don't seem to be aligned. It's a one-bedroom flat (40msquare) so there are no many rooms to check. Where it's more likely to find it? But the pipes go underneath the floor so I can't check properly.

Quite possibly you could try getting it freed off but it is what it is and I know I would want to be able to isolate the water in a emergency in my property . Kop

I agree KOP, my first concern is if something happens. I want to be able to close the main water valve. Is it something that the previous owner should have done? It's been already over a month that I have bought the flat though.

Hi guys, I have found another pipe coming from the ceiling that splits: one goes through the wall in the kitchen and the other underneath the floor (see picture). Could be that the main water valve is in the attic? I am living in the top floor and above there is a communal space(never been there is too scary :)) and then the roof.

Screenshot_20190301-131222.png

I wouldn’t rule it out, I have seen them in new build care home with an access panel by front door which is where the main stopcock is located.

The valve pictured is more likely to be a previous drain point, if it’s pointing towards outside look out window for an open ended pipe, what boiler is fitted as if it’s a combi you can switch cold supply off at boiler which will mean no hot water and then freeze cold side to change tap, Edinburgh tenements can be a nightmare and have several stopcocks for different parts within one flat, is there a cold water tank space above bathroom, there could also be mains pipework in hallway at high/low level feeding each flat, there will be a main isolation on street level but that will shut down either one or both sides of block, as advised have a word with neighbours they might be able to advise if they know where in their flat it’s located

I wouldn’t rule it out, I have seen them in new build care home with an access panel by front door which is where the main stopcock is located.

Thank you CBW1982 and to everybody. I have found a valve outside the front door. I didn't try yet, but I think it is likely to be the main water valve. It is in between gas pipes.

PHOTO_20190301_175238.jpg

Pay an experienced plumber to just look around for a hour, or ask your neighbours who they use and call them ...they might know things from past experience. Rob Foster centralheatking

Hi Sarah
First of all don't touch the plug cock under the floor. It is the old scour cock (=drain cock) for the hot water cylinder. It allows the water in the cylinder to flow away into the drain. If your cylinder is still in place and you open that, you will be unable to heat the water as the cold tank will constantly be running into it. If the cylinder has been replaced as you seem to be saying there is a risk that the lead pipe has not been blanked off and you could leak on the neighbours below. It has nothing to do with the main supply.
Your main water stopcock will originally have been at high level where the mains water from the lead riser ran into the cold water tank. If you are in a top flat it could have been in the roofspace, otherwise most likely above the bathroom.
If you still have a cold water tank that is the place to look (the lead riser ran up the building and each flat had a branch at high level, you will only have a branch lower down if you are a top flat and the riser has been altered, or if the high level branch has been run downwards to supply taps). As you rightly say, a stopcock on the riser would turn off any flats above you, so that has never been normal practice. The stopcock which does turn off the whole tenement is under the road, called a Toby cock.
I don't know whether you have some reason for not contacting an Edinburgh plumber but that's who you need, not Scottish Water.
Most of us give free estimates and would locate the stopcock for you in the course of the examination.

Reply to Main water valve, cannot find it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock