Search the forum,

Discuss julielmsfield in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We are about to convert our loft into a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom, but have been told by the architect that there is no route for a conventional outflow pipe. He has suggested we opt for a Saniflo system to carry the waste from the loo, basin, shower and bath.

My questions are:
Are they noisy and how long does the noise last - is it only as long as the emptying takes?
Can a Saniflo pump work in conjunction with a power shower? My husband likes a strong shower and this would be our only option.
Whilst we would be careful what goes down the loo, should we nevertheless opt for a commercial use Saniflo system for power, but will this be noisier?
Can they be used in conjunction with any bathroom suite?

Many thanks for any advice

welcome along.

they are a bit noisy, but that is only whilst pumping.
there will be a maximum speed of clearing, so check that against the shower flow if it's particularly powerful.

but why can a standard waste pipe not be fitted?
the saniflo still needs a pipe, just smaller, and more versatile

Hi Simon F, Thanks for the info.
I understand there will only be room for the smaller diameter pipe as it would have to be fed under the floor in order to come down the house on the correct side for the mains drain.

He has suggested we opt for a Saniflo system to carry the waste from the loo, basin, shower and bath.

You can no longer have a bath connected to the Saniflo if it is connected to the toilet and keep the 2yr warranty.

My questions are:
Are they noisy and how long does the noise last?

It used to be that you just hear it when the cistern refills but there are ways of sound proofing. With the pipe correctly installed and going down it will run for approx 6 secs and will pulsate on - off in approx 1-2 sec bursts with a shower

Can a Saniflo pump work in conjunction with a power shower?

Yes, up to maximum of 15 L per minute from the shower (Selected models only)

Should we nevertheless opt for a commercial use Saniflo system for power, but will this be noisier?

Yes, much noisier.

Can they be used in conjunction with any bathroom suite?

Yes.

Many thanks for any advice

Lastly, check which way the joists under the floor run and try to run the pipe with the joists and not through them, and lastly lastly take a look at Saniflo`s 10 Golden Rules at their web site.

Oh and welcome to the forum Julie.
(just realised my answers are in the quoted section above) duh!

Sorted for you - Croppie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Julie, I work for a Loft Conversion company as one of their plumbers and in the 25odd years I've been doing it I can count the number of Saniflo's I've fitted on my fingers.
The soil pipe is quite often the trickiest part of the loft conversion (for the plumber) but with some consideration, and co-operation with the builders, can usually be installed.
Check the run of new joists, whether there are steels to be installed that may prevent the soil pipe from getting to the original stack, the depth of the loft floor to ensure the correct fall can be achieved.
I'd also recommend checking your existing sewer runs as it may be possible to install a new manhole and soil stack.

If all that fails then it's a Saniflo for you!

Mate credit where credits due you know your game

thanks for all your help everyone. I will discuss with the architect and a builder or two but fear Saniflo might still be the only way forward

Hi Julie,

You should be the one in charge of the architect and the builder at this stage.

Conventional drainage would be the better and best option.

The Saniflo should be an extreme last resort.

I'm sure there would be a way to run a drain across the building, particularly when you are doing major works like you are doing.

I would get the architect to design something that would allow for conventional drainage.
Or get him / her to consult with a Plumber to see what options are available.

To me, what they are telling you doesn't sound right, it sound like they want an easier option.

You are the one that will be living there - not them

Hi Julie,

You should be the one in charge of the architect and the builder at this stage.

Conventional drainage would be the better and best option.

The Saniflo should be an extreme last resort.

To me, what they are telling you doesn't sound right, it sound like they want an easier option.

It is no secret that I make my living from these pumps yet I still tell people "Only as a last resort"
Totally agree with oz and paulusgg above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to julielmsfield in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
We have a saniflo system in our loft bathroom. We believe we have drain flies in there (probably from not using the shower for a month or so as we were all using the one in our main bathroom). Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of them as there is always standing water in the pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to help my mother in law by renovating her bathroom for her as it was in quite a sad state. The bathroom is a very poor attempt at a bedroom to bathroom convertion. So bad that it still had carpet over the whole floor, the area around the bathtub has no waterproofing what so...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock