Search the forum,

Discuss In a bit of fix regarding my Gas Safe inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plucky

Put myself on the register bout 3 weeks ago and today I have recived a latter asking to come and see three jobs I have done. Thing is I havent started trading yet so wont have completed 3 jobs by then. I am still working for the company at the moment.

Obviously I am going to call them monday and explain situation but wondered if anyone else has been in this situation?

I had exactly the same situation about six months ago, all the work i was doing was signed off through the company i was working for and not my personal registration.
I ended up servicing the boiler in my house and two others for friends just so I had something to show him.
In the end he only looked at two before deciding I was ok to take off of the probationary register and he did say he would have been happy to inspect work i had done for the company as they had added me as an additional engineer and my work was being signed off in my name.

You must have done more than 3 homers? If not, well tell him you put your own in, your mothers, and serviced the woman next door. He might have a sense of humour :D

Just be honest with him. He will know you are still working for a company as they will have you registered against their name. Pick a few local jobs you have done. Inform the customer if you can, that you may be coming around with a gas safe inspector (most will be quite happy).

If the worst came to the worst just service your own boiler, cooker, fire or whatever. See your mates to get into theirs and play it by ear. They are not out to trap you in any way. Simply to observe that you have the skills and are competent to work on appliances.

Hi

I am in the same boat. I currently sub for servicing for social housing.

When the inspector comes next, it has been agreed with him, that I will service my own boiler and also back boiler/fire for a friend, and he is happy with that.

Like I say I dont do servicing!!!

But even if all you do is installs you must know how to commission a boiler unless you just turn it on and check it heats. If you don't then you'd better learn quick.

But even if all you do is installs you must know how to commission a boiler unless you just turn it on and check it heats. If you don't then you'd better learn quick.

Of course. Think I am flapping over nothing

Its all about confidence. Been Inspecting and Assesing guys in the field for years, and its a scary thing having the inspector come round, but absolutely essential. If you know your stuff, and can demonstrate that you may be allowed to demonstrate this at any house, your own, your parents, your friends. Make sure you are up to speed. too much time in the same boat and you form poor habits. Before your visit have a good revision session, and know your way round your field guide.
Best Of luck in your solo career.

Its all about confidence. Been Inspecting and Assesing guys in the field for years, and its a scary thing having the inspector come round, but absolutely essential. If you know your stuff, and can demonstrate that you may be allowed to demonstrate this at any house, your own, your parents, your friends. Make sure you are up to speed. too much time in the same boat and you form poor habits. Before your visit have a good revision session, and know your way round your field guide.
Best Of luck in your solo career.
what field guide?!

Me Laughing - :D - Any field guide, take your pick. But i have seen field guides that never come out of their sleeve, then hey presto out drop all the pages. (I shan't mention the ones that last 5 seconds in the vans). By far preferred by many engineers is still the Corgi Essential Gas Safety Guide - It doesn't deteriorate that quick, but any up to date field reference guide will do. Be sure you have your unsafe situations guidance booklet available too, and remember ! That's all the small print says it is ! guidance !, you should be making the final determination on any unsafe situation yourself, common sense helps a lot. If you are being inspected on an install, ensure you are familiar with the installation guide, the five visuals, service and commission checks. KNOW YOUR WAY ROUND THE GUIDE !. Although it is there for reference many engineers either don't look in there or don't know why or where to look. If you are not aware when a flue liner is needed for example you will never look in your book, so how did you just manage to install that gas fire? ... etc etc.. It is not just a case of getting it right on the day, you need to get it right everyday, lives are at stake. Remember too that Gas Safe know all the tricks, and these visits are only for you guys just starting out !!, everyone else are getting the stealth visit to work already completed without their attendance so make sure its alright, gas tight, every night fellas, and don't forget what gas work on a fitting really means. Happy Hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, if youd have said the corgi book it would have clicked straight away ;)
A very sueful reference tool for the obscure info thats sometimes needed....
and the Viper books a useful backup Ive found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to In a bit of fix regarding my Gas Safe inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock