Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic + Combi "Flame loss post Stabilisation" error after Smart Meter installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

First off, I'm just a homeowner looking for advice, I'm not a gas engineer.

On Friday I had smart meters installed and 5 times since then (never previously), the 3-year-old Ideal Logic + Combi boiler has made a fairly loud humming/vibrating noise while running hot water for a few minutes and displays "Contact Installer". I turn the water off immediately and the noise stops. Checking the Fault History displays "Fl. Loss post Stabilisation".

I contacted the meter installers (SMS plc) yesterday and after initially claiming it was a coincidence and nothing to do with them, they sent the engineer out to check everything. He checked the gas pressure from the new meter and all was ok and couldn't get the problem to re-occur while he was here. He thought it was a result of the gas being disconnected and needing to flush through the system and should clear itself. However, it happened again this morning.

The meter installer did say if it does it again they would replace the gas meter, but I wanted to get a second opinion. Could this error be caused by a faulty gas meter, or is it more likely to be a boiler problem? As it started immediately after the meter installation, logic would suggest the meter is at fault, but the boiler installation manual suggests a number of potential reasons for flame loss, and only the first is gas supply related (Gas Pressure available at Boiler Inlet > 18mbar).

Also, is it safe to use the hot water between these errors while the issue is solved? It all seems to work normally, and goes many hours before it occurs again (5 times since Friday midday).

Thanks for any opinions you have.

Thank you. I'm waiting to hear back from my usual Gas Safe engineer who installed and services the boiler. However, if the cause is directly related to the smart meter installation, presumably SMS plc should be responsible for any problems they've caused?

It’s possible your gas pipe was was always undersized.
The old meter setup was allowing enough pressure through and the new setup isn’t

Did they do elec meter too? Maybe check the polarity to the boiler

Yes, they did the electricity meter at the same time. Everything appears to be working as before, both gas and electricity, apart from this Flame Loss error every 6 - 8 hours or so. I'll mention this too.

It’s possible your gas pipe was was always undersized.
The old meter setup was allowing enough pressure through and the new setup isn’t

When the meter installer came back he checked the gas pressure at the meter (not sure exactly where or how - he had some long instrument with him), and said all was ok. Would a test at the meter show that, or would that be the pressure reaching the boiler itself?

Yes, they did the electricity meter at the same time. Everything appears to be working as before, both gas and electricity, apart from this Flame Loss error every 6 - 8 hours or so. I'll mention this too.

When the meter installer came back he checked the gas pressure at the meter (not sure exactly where or how - he had some long instrument with him), and said all was ok. Would a test at the meter show that, or would that be the pressure reaching the boiler itself?
Boiler. There is a test point below.
Is it a long way from the meter to boiler?

Last edited:
My Gas Safe engineer has replied and said it sounds like the meter installer either didn't purge the system or somehow the gas valve is damaged and not letting the right amount of gas into the combustion chamber. Or (very unlikely) the fan is faulty and not mixing the air and gas well. He say's worst case scenario, might have to replace the gas valve, and best case, this will stop after a while. He's offered to come and have a quick look so hopefully he'll find out what's going on.

Reply to Ideal Logic + Combi "Flame loss post Stabilisation" error after Smart Meter installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock