Search the forum,

Discuss I have a problem with fixing up a backup for my bio boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning I have a bio boiler with thermostore, This past couple of winters I have struggled to keep temp up so I went and bought a 2nd hand combi GRANT boiler. Is there anyway it can be converted to work as a system type boiler with some sort of thermostatic switch to allow it to kick in when temp drops. Any help, drawn diagram or suggestions would he greatly received.

Attachments

• 20200109_154925.jpg
    20200109_154925.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200109_154930.jpg
    20200109_154930.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200109_154807.jpg
    20200109_154807.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200108_234821.jpg
    20200108_234821.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200109_154937.jpg
    20200109_154937.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200109_154800.jpg
    20200109_154800.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200109_154844.jpg
    20200109_154844.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 7
If you are on an RHI tariff / rebate you cannot introduce an additional heat source of any kind. If you do, you will risk forfeiture of all RHI payments made to you to date.

For the record, introducing a gas or oil fired boiler into your existing biomass system will require a bit of thought as to how you configure the control system. It is not straightforward.

Last edited:
If you are on an RHI tariff / rebate you cannot introduce an additional heat source of any kind. If you do, you will risk forfeiture of all RHI payments made to you to date.

For the record, introducing a gas or oil fired boiler into your existing biomass system will require a bit of thought as to how you configure the control system. It is not straightforward.
Sorry but I am not sure this has anything to do with my current problem. But for the record I dont claim RHI payments for my biomass boiler.
[automerge]1580898215[/automerge]
Not be better to investigate issues of not getting to temp?
Sorry what I was meaning was that it's been difficult keeping up with the task of loading it al the time through the winter.and keeping it to temp. I work away alot and wife was struggling with it.

My expert apprentice tells me that the info I provided above only applies to Non Domestic RHI . Assuming you are in Domestic RHI, if you introduce a fossil fired back up source - The RHI component will need to be fitted with meters for performance and meters for payment. If you are currently in the estimated scheme then all future payments after the change would be on actual performance, up to the deemed property performance. Most schemes deliver a better financial return on the estimated performance. For a start you have not got the £500 or so of heat meters to buy, install and calibrate!

My experience with biomass pellets and straw burners is that they are prone to go into overdrive with the flow temperature and produce too much heat too quickly. Even when they are slagged the performance drop is often not noticed.

Perhaps worth getting the installer back to check over the grate and the flue system

Obviously if you make a change and don’t inform OFGEM that is a different matter. OFGEM operate a “Counter Fraud” system where anyone can anonymously report a non-conforming installation to them.

Last edited:
Morning I have a bio boiler with thermostore, This past couple of winters I have struggled to keep temp up so I went and bought a 2nd hand combi GRANT boiler. Is there anyway it can be converted to work as a system type boiler with some sort of thermostatic switch to allow it to kick in when temp drops. Any help, drawn diagram or suggestions would he greatly received.
Have you been buying cheap pellets ? Chking

Sorry what I was meaning was that it's been difficult keeping up with the task of loading it al the time through the winter.and keeping it to temp. I work away alot and wife was struggling with it.

Maybe a hopper and auto feed would be a better investment.

If you're not getting rhi, why did you go bio mass?

Apologies. On the basis that for wood chip ( circa 3p/kw) the RHI incentive covers more than the total cost of the fuel - I had assumed that you would have registered your installation for a scheme.

Integration of a second heat source is viable, but it needs to be designed and implemented by someone who is familiar with the rules and understands the operational risks.

I would talk to whoever installed your biomass system as a starting point.

Reply to I have a problem with fixing up a backup for my bio boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust gases then it stops. The fan is still going then it starts off again and stops again. After 4 or 5 goes it runs fine. When the boiler gets up to...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open vented system S plan Also found there was no bypass and this was an external boiler with frost stat so boiler would start with no valves open...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock