Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water variations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a weird problem with the hot water in the house. The system is only three years old with a Potterton Promax Combi and a Megaflo cylinder on the ground floor. Around three weeks ago our mains pressure was fluctuating due to a mains problem and our hot water has been all to hell since.

The cylinder is hot and the boiler works but the temperature from hot taps varies from cold to luke warm to very hot, sometimes no hot water from any of the hot taps then maybe one or two taps will be hot and the other hot taps cold.

Today I tried a recharge of the cylinder air gap and there was no gurgling from cylinder, turned on water again and there was a lot of spluttering with hot eventually finding it's way but that only lasted a short while.

Totally baffled by this and I wonder if any of you good people could throw some light on the problem.

Does this happen at all outlets? You mention you have a combi boiler, what is fed from this? Any other work carried out recently, eg new taps, shower etc?

Everything was new around three years old and all fed from the same boiler including heating system. All taps suffer one way or another including the shower and i have even seen one running hot and another on the same floor running cold at the same time. Even changing from cold to hot and back down to cool. The top pipe at the centre of the cylinder is hot but virtually nothing hot making its way through.

Seems to have solved itself for now. For some reason I had forgotten about a shower upstair which has been unused for a few weeks so I open it up full power and left it running for a while, it gave a few coughs and splutters then steadied down.
Went for a cup off coffee and forgot all about it.

Now all taps and showers are working without any problems but i'm still baffled.

Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to Hot water variations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock