Search the forum,

Discuss hot water temp commercial kitchens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mm60103

I'm at the receiving end of a whinge from the caterers that the hot water supplied to the sinks in the kitchen is not hot enough.

The water is supplied through an instanteous gas heater giving a 40 deg C lift i.e. with the incoming water at +5 deg C the water to the sink is 45 deg C.

I can't find any regulations / rules telling me what the temperature should be. I'm begining to think stored water at about 75 deg C is the answer.

Help???

I'm at the receiving end of a whinge from the caterers that the hot water supplied to the sinks in the kitchen is not hot enough.

The water is supplied through an instanteous gas heater giving a 40 deg C lift i.e. with the incoming water at +5 deg C the water to the sink is 45 deg C.

I can't find any regulations / rules telling me what the temperature should be. I'm begining to think stored water at about 75 deg C is the answer.

Help???

Hi pretty sure needs to be 60 to get rid of grease
but if in a bathroom used by young or elderly need to fit tmv3 temp at 43 degs
hope this helps

Hi pretty sure needs to be 60 to get rid of grease
but if in a bathroom used by young or elderly need to fit tmv3 temp at 43 degs
hope this helps
It's 60-65 because of legionella.
I think TMV's are 48 degrees domestic house
43 degrees nursing home/hospital public area etc.

Am I right in thinking that because at the moment the water isn't stored its produced instantaneously I don't have a legionaire issue?

I understand the issue with getting grease away and this is one of the gripes from the caterer. 60 deg would seem a reasonable temp to achieve if the water was stored but for instantaneous its a vert biog temperature lift - like 55 deg.

Am I right in thinking that because at the moment the water isn't stored its produced instantaneously I don't have a legionaire issue?

I understand the issue with getting grease away and this is one of the gripes from the caterer. 60 deg would seem a reasonable temp to achieve if the water was stored but for instantaneous its a vert biog temperature lift - like 55 deg.
instantaneous water doesnt breed legionella so dont worry on that scoreyou need to check flow rate /temp against the manufaturers specificationsas temp rise will be dependent on flow rate
is the heater running at the correct gas rate

Last edited:
Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Although the water heater has some years behind it I'm convinced its working as it should. A local plumber has recommended a new unit but the temperature rise would be roughly the same so still below 50 degrees. I find it difficult to believe that when a plumber / building services engineer designs a hot water system for a commercial kitchen he doesnt have norms / flow rates / and temperature he has to design to. I've had a good look around and still can't find anything.

It's 60-65 because of legionella.
I think TMV's are 48 degrees domestic house
43 degrees nursing home/hospital public area etc.
Thats right mate

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

Although the water heater has some years behind it I'm convinced its working as it should. A local plumber has recommended a new unit but the temperature rise would be roughly the same so still below 50 degrees. I find it difficult to believe that when a plumber / building services engineer designs a hot water system for a commercial kitchen he doesnt have norms / flow rates / and temperature he has to design to. I've had a good look around and still can't find anything.
I bet you have tmv valve fitted somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
steve

thanks for the reply.

Although the water heater has some years behind it i'm convinced its working as it should. A local plumber has recommended a new unit but the temperature rise would be roughly the same so still below 50 degrees. I find it difficult to believe that when a plumber / building services engineer designs a hot water system for a commercial kitchen he doesnt have norms / flow rates / and temperature he has to design to. I've had a good look around and still can't find anything.
not sure how your convinced its working as it should without doing the relevant checks but ive just looked up the data for a mersey super multipoint and it should give a temperature rise of 50 degrees c at a flow rate of 6.5 lires a minute this has a rated input of 30 .3 kw
let me know what model and rating in kw or btus and i can tell you the temp rise and flowrate
sounds as though yours is either
a undergased
b running to fast
c fecked

Steve it will be the weekend before I can get to the heater to get more details. A 50 deg rise sound more like added to the 5 deg + of the incoming cold giving 55 deg on a cold day.

Appreciate all of your help.

please bear in mind, 6.5 litres a minute is staggeringly slow flow. you only need to increase this by a bit and the output temp is dropping significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot water temp commercial kitchens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock