Search the forum,

Discuss hot water leaking into overflow/header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mik118811

Hi All,

I am looking for a solution to a problem i have had with my heating system for a long time.

I have an old back boiler downstairs with two pipes leading up from it. i have a cylinder tank in a bedroom and then a header/overflow tank and a large cold water tank in the loft. by the cylinder i have the pump which feeds onto the tank and onto another pipe which overflows into the header tank also to a pipe which is the feed from the header tank and a pipe which goes downwards which i presume is the feed to the boiler.
I have been reading many articles about the problem i have which is water going into the header tank via the feed not the overflow. i have changed the ball cock valve as i presumed that was the problem originally but that didnt affect it. i drained the system the other evening and left it well below the overflow pipe onto our roof the following morning after no hot water or heating had been on it was overflowing. ive read it could be a range of things from pipework to the hot water cylinder coil. is there a way to find what the problem is without having to get a plumber in charging for a call out, i am a competent diy plumber so would rather do it myself if possible or to atleast find what the fault is before calling a plumber out to fix it if it is not within my skill range.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered

IMAG0031.jpgIMAG0030.jpg

here is the pics of where the pipes go up and also where the pipes go down from the pump

Looks like the feed/vent is wrong.
If water level dropping and ball valve topping up CWSC and overflowing in F&E this could indicated coil problem.

i have been told the feed and vent pipe are incorrect sizes and incorrectly positioned, could this really be the main cause of water to back up the feed pipe though? the header tank gets very hot water in it which causes it to overflow but what could cause it to overflow over night when nothing is turned on? it doesnt seem logical for it to be overflowing constantly

Check to see if there is a hole in the coil on the cylinder ( drain heating and disconnect flow and return at cylinder to check). if this is the case cold water tank pressure will enter hole and fill F and E tank

will there be a clear visible sign that the coil is damaged once the tank is disconnected? i didnt mention that this problem has been going on for 2 years and only now it seems to be getting worse and worse as it began with just a drip now it is a constant trickle of water out of the overflow pipe, would the coil have failed completely in this time causing it to get worse?

i have been told the feed and vent pipe are incorrect sizes and incorrectly positioned, could this really be the main cause of water to back up the feed pipe though? the header tank gets very hot water in it which causes it to overflow but what could cause it to overflow over night when nothing is turned on? it doesnt seem logical for it to be overflowing constantly

The water level in the CWSC is higher than the water level in the F&E if cisterns both fitted on same level, so if the coil is holed the water will come in from the CWSC through the cylinder and throughthe holed coil and up through the F&E(U tube effect) to the same level as the CWSC water, thus overflowing.Cold feed should be 15mm min and vent 22mm.Cold feed should be positioned between the pump and vent pipe with the cold feed/vent within 150mm of each other.Should also have an automatic bypass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot water leaking into overflow/header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock