Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water In Expansion Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yat

Hi All

I noticed recently that the water in my expansion tank was warm to the touch and in the last few days water have been dripping out of the overflow pipe as a result of the condensation.

The ironic thing is that it only drips in the morning but not in the afternoon.

As its summer, only the hot water is on. I have reduced the pump to no. 1, the lowest setting.

Should I be worried about this?, if so, what could be cause of this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Yat

Is the tank level correct (should be about 3 inches from the bottom when cold to allow room for expansion without losing through the overflow).

Correct this then see how it goes. It's normal to get warm water coming in through expansion as the system comes on (but should not be hot water).

The washer may need changing and the system will almost certainly have lost its inhibitor through dilution so you need to top up.

Check you are not getting overpumping when the system comes on (water coming out of the vent pipe). If so could inidicate problem such as blockage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply. The water is about 3inches from the bottom. The sides above the water is dry so the ball cock is working correctly.

The system was power flushed in October last year. This has made a tremendous improvement to the central heating system. At the same time, Fernox inhibitor was added. I presume over the pass months this must have been diluted as suggested.

When the system was power flushed, I told the plumber to install a Magnaclean system and I clean the crap from it last month.

But will put some more inhibitor in to be on the safe side.

Can you please tell me if I were to put another brand of inhibitor to the system, will it be o.k. mixing it with the diluted Fernox inhibitor?

Thanks for your help once again.

Rgds

Yat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water In Expansion Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock