Search the forum,

Discuss Heritage Dorchester Deck Bath Shower Mixer lever loose? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morrfio

Hello. The lever which allows me to switch from shower spray to bath filler tap feels very loose and does not seem to engage when I move it from one side to the other such that I only get the filler tap working and I cannot get anything through the shower head (so cannot wash my hair). All I can see externally is a hexagonal nut (?) on the front of the mixer at the bottom end of the lever but it has a shallow head and is shiny chrome so I do not want to have a go at it with a spanner as I will probably scratch it if I actually manage to get a grip of it.

I was recently charged £120 by a local plumber to replace the flush mechanism in my wee Ideal Standard close coupled cistern and so I am scared stiff of getting a plumber in to look at this. Sorry :(

It will be the nut but you may find internaly an oring has split or worn hence the loose feeling. It is an easy job I use a old piece of inner tube and grips to undo chrome fittings. £120 for a new flush valve is unreasonable if it was straight forward I'd say £55 EX Vat and you would have got a fluidmaster valve unless you had to get the Ideal one due to lush button size but have always used the fluid master on Ideal Standard without a problem. An extra £15 and I'd have done the fill valve as well.

Thank you tackleburger; I have an old inner tube used to protect my car roof when I put the roofbars on :) so I will try that. Silly question, and I think I know the answer... I switch the water off at the mains before touching it don't I?

Yes, it was a generic £14 unit he replaced in the cistern... c'est la vie :rolleyes:

No need to turn water off as log as the taps are of nothing with happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heritage Dorchester Deck Bath Shower Mixer lever loose? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi, I'm having a new bathroom installed and having issues getting the right bath/shower set up. Shower has to be over bath as no space for a seperate one. We have kids who have baths and need it to be easy for them to rinse their hair during them. AT present we have a lovely Victorian style...
Replies
Views
Hello - am hoping someone out there can offer some advice... I've been living in a split level 1st & 2nd floor masionette for two months, which was built in the 60's. Heating is provided via combi boiler. Water for kichen is fed straight from the mains supply (both hot and cold), however, we...
Replies
Views
Hi there! our Heritage bath taps (see attached image) have a leak from the shower lever when diverted to the shower head. Unfortunately this model is over 15 years old and spare parts are no longer available. As a very amateur DIY-er I am not familiar with the inner workings of these sort of...
Replies
Views
Situation: Had a boiler system conversion. From Potterton boiler with Gledhill storage tank with on demand hot water to Veissman Combo with on demand hot water. 2 bed semi with only myself and wife living here. Unfortunately used iheat service which has no real customer service. Have had the...
Replies
Views
HI, i qualified as a plumber in 1999 but have had a career in welding since ( i discovered quickly I didn't like plumbing but stayed to finish my qualification rather than waste those years ), so while I'm not a complete novice, I'm not exactly at the cutting edge ! I am refurbing and bought a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock