Search the forum,

Discuss Help requested with Bath Shower Attachment Valve Failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobB

Hi all - I am new to this but I hope you can help me a little. I put this on the valves & taps forum but have had no answers yet but fewer peole seem to look at that so here goes again... with pictures! PA260802.jpg

We have an old cast iron bath with the mixer tap with a valve to divert the water to the shower head. A traditional style one - two taps connecting in the centre to the shower diverter valve & then to one central spout.

Yesterday my girlfriend said this valve felt funny, made a cracking sound :mad: & now hardly any water comes out of the shower when switched to shower, but mainly from the tap.

I took off the valve handle & front of the valve & can see a plastic [?nylon] valve part that moves up & down freely & does not appear broken. Does the main plastic valve come out by taking off the tap spout or is it not replacable? :confused:

I also took the shower hose connection off & can see another small plastic part that fits into the bottom of the shower pipe with a spring loaded plunger in it. Is it this part that has failed maybe? Nothing looks wrong... Is it a filter? :confused:

PA260803.jpg

Any good ideas please? ;)

sounds like the spring has come away from the diverter. does the diverter now feel like there is no resistance when you try to operate it?
that probably is a filter tho

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks kay-jay - well it feels the same actually - is there a spring below the plastic valve part that may have broken? It certainly moves up & down with no resistance.

[There is a small spring loaded plunger in the small 'filter' but that seesm to work normally.]
Rob

well i haven't seen one like yours and from your post it sounded like something had gone preventing the diverter from moving inside when you hand operate the knob.
normally its the water pressure that keeps it in the open position for the shower. have you had any plumbing work done elsewhere in the house that could have resulted in the flow to the taps being restricted by debris etc??
i would try removing pipework from the taps, and do a pressure test on both hot and cold then refer to the manufacturers instructions regarding required pressures for operation. however if it worked previously and has just stopped it is likely that its some kind of debris or the mechanism has broken somehow. again look at manufacturers instructions (should be available online) to find out how it should all be assembled and how it should operate. armed with this info the fault may become obvious

KJ

No changes to plumbing, just the cracking sound. Maybe it has broken but where it cannot be seen until completely taken apart.

OK thanks will try to find details the manufacturers name on the tap labels is Barber Wilsons.

As you say its a bit unusual in that the pipe centres are 254mm / 10" apart rather than the standard 180mm / 7"... Any ideas who makes them now? I did not find any on the web yesterday...

Thanks - I have found their website & they do a seal kit SK-GA/R 4300 for ~£20 which will certainly be better than a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help requested with Bath Shower Attachment Valve Failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock