Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Newly installed toilet cistern float valve getting stuck against side of cister in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have installed a new toilet cistern in let valve and it is rubbing against the inside of the cistern and won't fill up. I can't take the cistern apart now because it isn't accessible. Any ideas to help me please?

Thank you

Martyn

Re: Help! Newly installed toilet cistern float valve getting stuck against side of ci

Well if you don`t want to do the job properly I have seen a total bodge with a piece of pipe wedged in to make the clearance needed. Not my way of doing things mind.

Re: Help! Newly installed toilet cistern float valve getting stuck against side of ci

If you managed to replace it, surely you can remove it again to line it up.

Doesn't it have a plastic screw piece that you put against the cistern side?

I often find with fluidmaster & funny shaped cisterns the float will hit the side... I don't call it a Bodge to place something between the valve & cistern to have the valve operate correctly! It's better than having to fit a torbeck!

I wouldn`t fit a Torbeck either, I`d rather fit a valve with the float in the shield in that scenario.

I wouldn`t fit a Torbeck either, I`d rather fit a valve with the float in the shield in that scenario.

Each to their own I guess, I only carry fluidmaster on the van & try to make it fit every scenatio one way or another ;)

Always seems daft in the cistern when the float is hitting the bell housing of the siphon & the flush handle is all tight in the corner when the other side of the toilet has stack of room & nothing there lol

Stating the obvious, but would have been more sensible to make sure the new valve was proper or installed properly so that the float part is turned so it doesn't hit the cistern, before finishing the job.
The Wirquin fill valves with brass tail, or similar designed valves that have the float inside an outer case, would be worth thinking about using.

Always seems daft in the cistern when the float is hitting the bell housing of the siphon & the flush handle is all tight in the corner when the other side of the cistern has stack of room & nothing there lol

Agree with you there.

Stating the obvious, but would have been more sensible to make sure the new valve was proper or installed properly so that the float part is turned so it doesn't hit the cistern, before finishing the job.

I`m sure Marty will next time and hopefully leave some way of getting into it.

Saw one few years back, back to wall pan will single flush button on the wall. The wall was tiled wall to wall and floor to ceiling. Poor woman was in tears when I suggested I was likely to make a fair size hole in her wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Newly installed toilet cistern float valve getting stuck against side of cister in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi, one of the two hooks on my toilet Torbeck fill valve has broken, and so the float can't connect. I've bought a new fill valve, however it's incredibly difficult to access underneath and replace the whole valve. I therefore just want to replace the plastic part that has the two hooks...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have moved into a property and amongst several other issues, the toilet float valve appears to keep getting stuck and therefore prevented from filling. I am unsure what type of float valve I have. Each time I push the top part of the float (pictured on the left) it then starts to fill. I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
S
Hi, It may be coincidence but not long after getting oil fired central heating fitted to older ex-council property (fireplace and necessary plumbing torn out/replaced as required) every time toilet is flushed it sounds like a foghorn. Vibrations run through house and can be heard clearly...
Replies
Views
SaintSinner
S
R
Hi all. I'm having issues with the Flomasta bottom-entry fill valve in a toilet; the 'float' comes up but doesn't have any effect, it simply won't stop filling, leading to water constantly flowing down the overflow. The cistern is in a sealed unit so without ripping the whole thing apart is only...
Replies
Views
Hi, Could somebody help me with some advice please? My toilet is leaking. It is filling above the overflow pipe and is constantly running water into the bowl. When the cistern fills, the float goes as high as it will go but the water continues filling and goes down the overflow pipe. I have a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock