Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Low hot water pressure in kitchen after replacing bathroom taps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TanyaB

Good morning

I have an open vented gravity fed system and had a leaking tap on my bathroom sink so decided to replace both while I was at it. I turned off the valve to the immersion heater and ran the taps until nothing came out and just replaced the innards of both taps like for like and put them back together.

When I turned the water back on I have great hot water pressure in the bathroom sink but virtually none in the kitchen and utility room, cold pressure is fine. I drained the system to see if it was an airlock but it's still the same, the kitchen and utility room hot taps don't splutter or anything, the water just comes out at a steady trickle. I have spent days trying to find a solution but have come up against a brick wall. Can anyone please help me? Forgot to add it's a bungalow..

Thankyou

Tanya

Last edited by a moderator:
you have an airlock. the easiest way to sort this is to connect hot and cold washing machine valves together with a WM hose, open the hot first then the cold and give it a short blast of mains up the hot. it works 999 times our of 1000. that's assuming you have hot and cold WM feeds of course.

Or, if your kitchen sink has a mixer tap you could use it to put the mains water through the hot, same as Steveb means.
If it was a really old mixer tap, the hot and cold mix in the mixer spout and all you need to do is hold your hand, perhaps using a cloth over the end of the spout and first turn hot on and then turn the cold on for a few seconds.
But your mixer is likely to be more modern and the spout would need to be removed and your hand put over the mixer body. Getting the spout off might be hard though

My washing machine only has a cold feed as the hot is blanked off and my mixer tap is very modern so not sure that I want to fiddle with it. I tried to put some hosepipe between the two taps in my utility room but it's too narrow and not flexible enough so I'll have to go and buy something with a wider bore and try that. Thankyou for your replies!

Tanya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Low hot water pressure in kitchen after replacing bathroom taps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I recently had an eco tec plus 836 combi installed as part of an oil to gas conversion. One thing I can’t work out is why the bathroom sink hot water flow is 12-13L per minute with at 44c and even hotter. However the nearby bath freestanding tap is 8-9L per minute at this temp. Both taps...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock