Search the forum,

Discuss Heat Exchanger for new Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all,

25 year old boiler need replacing.
Existing boiler, 220 kW doing Aged Care Facility.

I want to install a condensing boiler, but are worried about not being able to clean the system efficiently to not cause damage to the new boiler and void warranty.
The best option I can see is to have a plate heat exchanger between the new boiler and the existing heating system.
I would also have a air dirt separator installed on the existing system return piping prior to the plate heat exchanger.

Any Pros and Cons?

System to be installed - probably 2 x 100 kW boilers in cascade.

What are the chances of the plate heat exchanger blocking up?
I don't want to take the chance of installing a hydraulic separator and blocking up the boiler heat exchanger.

Hi all,

25 year old boiler need replacing.
Existing boiler, 220 kW doing Aged Care Facility.

I want to install a condensing boiler, but are worried about not being able to clean the system efficiently to not cause damage to the new boiler and void warranty.
The best option I can see is to have a plate heat exchanger between the new boiler and the existing heating system.
I would also have a air dirt separator installed on the existing system return piping prior to the plate heat exchanger.

Any Pros and Cons?

System to be installed - probably 2 x 100 kW boilers in cascade.

What are the chances of the plate heat exchanger blocking up?
I don't want to take the chance of installing a hydraulic separator and blocking up the boiler heat exchanger.
Considering they block up pretty easily on a dirty system on a domestic system I would assume if the system was that bad in the first place then it'd block up. Depends how big the water ways are inside it.

I wouldn't do it bud I had 30 years of that type of work, a commercial plate heat would clog up , Ideal Evomaxs with a cascade kit was our go to system 100kw up to 900 kw , just need to bolt on a commercial magnetic filter adey do them now , also spirotech dirt and air seperator is the way to go as you say I would post some pictures but it's not working at present . Cheers kop

Last edited:
Install a cleanable / serviceable plate might cost you extra but worth it on the long run also strainer before

Primary pipework 65mm.

I was going to have a air dirt separator in the return / inlet to the heat exchanger.
I have been looking for a 50mm or 65mm magnetic filter - can't source one here ( at this stage )

I don't want to run the risk of clogging up the boiler.
Either the boiler has to have a hydraulic separator installed or a heat exchanger installed.

My feelings are it's easier to replace / clean a heat exchanger, than to have problems with blocking up the boiler.

I don't feel the water in the system is too bad. The system may be 25 years old, but it has been well maintained and dosed regularly.

Can you get Spirotech over there ?

Primary pipework 65mm.
I was going to have a air dirt separator in the return / inlet to the heat exchanger.
I have been looking for a 50mm or 65mm magnetic filter - can't source one here ( at this stage )

I suspect it's much pricier than a 2" Spirotech but it's in your neck of the woods...a 2" Boilermag is £1500 quid here.

Last edited:
We can get just about anything over here.

Just can't source a magnetic filter of the size required.

We do have Sprirotech or similar products.

With Spirotech filter, would it be suitable to have that prior to a LLH connected to the boiler or would it be best to have a heat exchanger as separation?

What about that link I posted above, that's from an Austalian company.

I have contacted them.
They just import when requested.

I have dealt with this company a handful of times over the years.
Everything is in stock at the time of the order being placed and deposit paid.
Then it's not!!!

I have done it before with a standard 28mm magnaclean just below each boiler on the return.
LLH and then dirt separator on the system side.
Gives you three areas of collection.

Reply to Heat Exchanger for new Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock