Search the forum,

Discuss Header Tank Overflowing - Not the Ball Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sbarrick

Hi All

This is my first post on the forum, and know little about plumbing. But here is my problem.

My header tanks keeps overflowing. I have replaced the ball valve and checked this several times for leaks to which there is none. So I can confirm that it is not the Ball valve. The tank in the loft continues to fill up over a number of days and overflows via the overflow pipe outside. We have not had our central heating on or the emersion heater and still it is filling up. HOW????

I tested this today, no heating or emersion heater and did not use the hot water for several hours and the tank water depth rose by about an inch.

Our system is an indirect vented system with tank in loft. The Tank is a Showmax Supercal Cylinder.

Can someone please help with advice.

sounds like the coil in the hot water cylinder is damaged letting water from central heating side into hot water side and backing up into the cwst. or do you have mixer taps anywhere with tank fed hot and mains cold, could be the cold overwhelming the hot and forcing it's way up to the hot cylinder and on up to the cwst.

steve

We do have mixer taps but we have had them in a while now.

So does that mean new cylinder. What costs are we looking at here to replace?

I'd go for either of em, but tap 1st then coil and thirdly being as you've said it's not the ball valve I'll go for that too, lol.

Please let us know what happens, no fun in threads with no conclusion

try new inserts in the taps first, if that doesnt work new cylinder I'm afraid:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Header Tank Overflowing - Not the Ball Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock