Search the forum,

Discuss header tank overflow pipe into cistern overflow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

replacing a cold water storage cistern and have found header tank o/f hangs above as an open pipe:eek:. should header over flow it would current freely pour into the cwsc, unless the lid was fitted then it would come through the ceiling!

Due to position its going to be tricky getting a new external route for the o/f so could i tap into the cwsc overflow? I cant see water contaminating as i can join the pipe below the cwsc, so it would be unlikely to back track.

So is this an absolute no no or ok but not ideal? Do the header and cwsc need their own independent overflows?

I'll get my water regs book and take a look though I might get beaten to the punch!

Yup, as I summised. It's a no no. Section 5, R14.2 I won't bore you too much.

'Schedule 2 requires that any pipe carrying fluid that is not wholesome water must not be connected to a pipe carrying wholesome water unless a suitable backflow prevention devise is installed.'

Plus in section 16 - CW services - it states that each cistern should have its own warning pipes. So you wanna do it by the books, it's going to be harder. Isn't it always!!!

You could fit tundishes to create an air gap, but then there is more potential for disaster!

Last edited:
I'll get my water regs book and take a look though I might get beaten to the punch!

Yup, as I summised. It's a no no. Section 5, R14.2 I won't bore you too much.

'Schedule 2 requires that any pipe carrying fluid that is not wholesome water must not be connected to a pipe carrying wholesome water unless a suitable backflow prevention devise is installed.'

Plus in section 16 - CW services - it states that each cistern should have its own warning pipes. So you wanna do it by the books, it's going to be harder. Isn't it always!!!

You could fit tundishes to create an air gap, but then there is more potential for disaster!

I jnow it is different when it is for a customer. If it were in my home amd routing was a major problem then I would put a vertical tee in the overflow pipe at highest point by cistern and fit a 300mm length of verical 22mm pipe. Cap it and drill a series of small air admitance holes in the pipe near the cap. I would call this an effective anti-siphon device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to header tank overflow pipe into cistern overflow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I’m new to the business so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was tracing the cistern tank overflow pipe and found it eventually went to nowhere. Basically a disaster waiting to happen. The problem I have is that this is a flat on the 2nd floor with no visible external overflow...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and E tank. The ball valve has been checked and is working ok. The vent pipe from the hot water cylinder is not venting any water into the tank, and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a cold water storage tank which feeds the hot water cylinder below. The hot water is backflowing up to the cold water tank and then overflowing now and again. If i put a non return valve on the cold feed to the cylinder would this just push the water up to the vent pipe? There are...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I had my indirect hot water cylinder removed a few days ago and the central heating boiler and pump is turned off at the fuse spur right next to the boiler. I have been without hot water for a few days which is fine - The plumber left the flow / return to the cylinder uncapped as well as the...
Replies
Views
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on kitchen sinks and bathroom washbasins? Must the supply come directly from the mains or can it come from the cold water storage tank? Or is the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock