Search the forum,

Discuss Guarantee for work done in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jvr

What is the liability time for work we do in the domestic home,i accept that now and again we have to go back to rectify something but if a pipe lets go or our workmanship slipped on that day and there's water damage.I ask as I am comming out of self employment and after research if I cancel my liability insurance my past jobs will not be covered.
Any thoughts
Cheers
P:confused:

I'm very surprised that you would not be covered for previous work. Does that mean that if you ever change your PLI supplier, all jobs done for the previous supplier are no longer covered? Can you never retire? The insurance company takes your premium, and they provide cover for the work you do. The fact that you are not renewing doesnt mean you haven't paid them for the service they provided.

It might be worth writing to your PLI supplier asking that they confirm that work done under policy will still be covered, and for what period of time. If they reply it will not, it might be worth approaching the insurance ombudsman. Alternatively just buy another years worth (while you can still claim it as a business expense) which should then cover you for another year.

I'm very surprised that you would not be covered for previous work. Does that mean that if you ever change your PLI supplier, all jobs done for the previous supplier are no longer covered? Can you never retire? The insurance company takes your premium, and they provide cover for the work you do. The fact that you are not renewing doesnt mean you haven't paid them for the service they provided.

It might be worth writing to your PLI supplier asking that they confirm that work done under policy will still be covered, and for what period of time. If they reply it will not, it might be worth approaching the insurance ombudsman. Alternatively just buy another years worth (while you can still claim it as a business expense) which should then cover you for another year.
This is what i'm getting at can you ever retire! so what is the liability timescale,but I might aswell contact the ombudsman
Cheers
P

Well...got another phonecall the next day from someone else in the company that said if I cancel I would still be covered for past jobs but if a claim was made and settled then I would have to pay the excess and the rest of premium outstanding.
2 stories in 2 days:confused:
but the second phonecall did say that it was a 'done thing'
P

This is intresting,I change my p.l.i. almost every year looking for a good deal.does the new insurer cover you for past work.We all know how difficult insurance companies can be,would be nice to get a black and white answer.

A couple of points:

On the insurance side your policy will only cover you for work carried out while the relevant policy was in force. So a new insurer is only going to be interested in what happens while you are insured with them. Painful as it is, reading the policy might help.

As to your liabilty to your customers then (depending on the type of work) you might consider offering a guarantee against faulty workmanship for say 2 years.

Cheers

rsr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Guarantee for work done in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock