Search the forum,

Discuss Glow Worm Flexicom lose water pressure and more...cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cristina

I have Glow Worm Flexicom which seems to have a few issues. It keeps losing water pressure over few weeks, and until a few days ago was making a loud bang noise when switching hot water/ central heating. I have one of those water tank systems. I called a gas engineer who has a quick look and asked me to see if I could identify a leak from the overflow pipe, and ask the downstairs neighbour about visible leaks and then call him back. I cannot see any leaks but the overflow is on an outdoor wall and I can barely see it, let alone put a plastic bag like it is suggested in some posts. Just after his visit the noise stopped and now I when I switch on the hot water the central heating comes on as well. Texted the guy but he never got back to me. I contacted another gas engineer who suggested I would be better off calling Glow Worm as they do a fixed price, and suggested that I may need to replace the diverter valve and probably the expansion vessel too (it was just a phone conversation). I am quite worried about the cost of all this, I thought an independent contractor may have been better, as Glow Worm do not include the expansion vessel in the fixed price. I am not sure whether to call a third engineer to at least have a proper diagnosis or just go with the Glow worm call...
Cristina

Where are you Christina? Maybe one of our guys on here could get out to you? [DLMURL]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/[/DLMURL]

Last edited:
Would you say the pressure loss has become greater since you posted about it at the end of last year?

Hi RPM, I think more recently it has just got quicker. It never went below 0.5, and the boiler never stopped since last year, but and yesterday was 0.3 for the first time and not working. I topped up to 0.7 and today is still between 0.7 and 0.6.
The loud noise wasn't there let year either, and the switching on of the central heating together with the hot water is also new.

It was already here when I moved in so not totally sure, looking through papers the oldest document for 'Gas appliance service and safety check" is dated 2010 and after that I have yearly Gas safety checks .

So likely outside warranty. If there is one. Depends how long you're going to be there as to your attitude. You could get Glowworm out to do a fixed cost repair. They would then offer you manufacturer guarantee on any parts fitted. Alternatively you can get out another engineer potentially one from here. They may be able to get it running for less for you but if multiple parts need replacing it might be best to seek quotes

Hi RPM, I think more recently it has just got quicker. It never went below 0.5, and the boiler never stopped since last year, but and yesterday was 0.3 for the first time and not working. I topped up to 0.7 and today is still between 0.7 and 0.6.
The loud noise wasn't there let year either, and the switching on of the central heating together with the hot water is also new.

Whoever you use just remember to tell them what you do know and when, that way they will have some history to work with as a start point.

Pretty sure there are a few good members in your area.

Just found out that Glow Worm fixed price won't include an expansion vessel, which I may or may not be needed The next price up is ÂŁ300 which would include that, it is a kind of cover for ÂŁ50 a month for six-months. Does it seem reasonable? Just not sure how likely to be an expensive repair like an expansion vessel, are any other signs that may differentiate pressure loss from expansion vessel or from a slow leak?

Do you actually know what the issue is at present? Who told you it was an expansion vessel issue? I'd be tempted to get a local GSR engineer out and be up front with them. Tell them you'll pay them for a diagnosis and would like a quote from them as you are trying to weigh up your options.

You probably need someone to check the whole system over.

If you call a boiler manufacturer, they will only check to boiler, change parts and leave you a bill. They won't check the rest of the system.
If they detect a leak in the system they will tell you to call someone else to fix it.

Best go with someone that can do the lot

I was told by a gas engineer as a possibility, I was just a chat, didn;t have time to come around, another cam e around and stayed 5 seconds, asked me to look for a leak...I know it sounds stupid but people seems to be very busy this time of year.

Actually, they have just told me they will not do anything outside the boiler, so the diverter valve (which I believeis outside the boiler) won't be covered ....is this the diverter valve? IMG_2816.jpg

Get someone to come and take a look

I'M going to go out on a limb here and say that the system MIGHT be heavily sludge up, blocking the heat ex (causing the banging) and that sludge or just age has caused the diverters/3 port valve to stick in a position where you get hot water and Central heating,

I'D get a local reputable engineer out who is gas safe to take a look and look at the condition of the water in the system

Thank you all. Third time lucky (I hope) and someone should come around this morning.

Ask them to check the expansion tank pressure and walk around and check for leaks on the radiators.

Get them to check PRV and operation of the motorised valves.

Final update, an engineer came around this morning, worked on the system for a couple of hours, now everything works perfectly, and the 'damage' was very reasonable. Or at least, I ma happy...
Thank you all or the advice

Final update, an engineer came around this morning, worked on the system for a couple of hours, now everything works perfectly, and the 'damage' was very reasonable. Or at least, I ma happy...
Thank you all or the advice

Thanks For the Update, its good to know how these things turn out, do you know what he fixed/changed did?

He re-pressurised the expansion vessel (at least that's what I understood) , fixed the diverter valve, not sure what else, but it's all ticking along now!

Glad you're sorted Cristina. We're always here. Don't be a stranger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow Worm Flexicom lose water pressure and more...cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
A
Good morning. We have a 10 year old Ultracom which now very frequently thinks there's a demand for hot water, even though there isn't, so the boiler kicks into that mode, and sits there heating tap water that isn't going anywhere. Sometimes this happens if a cold tap has been used or the loo...
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
  • Question
Hi Have a Glow worm Flexicom 30cx-Installed 2010 and regaularly serviced. Last service October 21. Works fine, with no issues. However it has started to leak-though never when the house. is occupied. Went to Scotland over hogmanay for a week and when we returned there had been a leak of...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock