Search the forum,

Discuss Glow worm boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mcroxx

I have a 2 year old glow worm boiler which was installed in new build home. At the side of my house there is a plastic vent from the boiler and then further along the wall say 2 metres there is a copper pipe. A few months ago I noticed the pipe had a steady drip and the ground underneath was wet. The drip seems to have got quicker in the last week or so. I have looked online and people say there should be a plastic condenser pipe which can drop - I can't see a plastic pipe only the vent. They also say it could be pressure relief pipe. I have checked the boiler pressure and that reads between one and two bar. I don't really want to get an engineer out if this is something that should happen or it's something I can fix easily. Any help appreciated

can you take a pic of the under side of the boiler (at the pipes) and the pipe outside please

Hi thanks got coming back so quickly.
Pictures as requested.

Img 23 and 24 are underneath boiler. 25 is the whole system. 26 is the dripping pipe which is to right of back door. 27 is another copper pipe i spotted which appears to be directly under 28 which is the boiler vent. I now wondered if the dripping pipe is the toilet overflow as bathroom is directly above. Not sure how to tell though and didn't think that pipe would be copper. However the toilet sometimes does not stop its self refilling after a flush and you have to refresh to stop the water flowing into bowl.

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0028.jpg

What size is the copper pipe? Is it the discharge from an unvented cylinder?

is it dripping out of the flue? this can sometimes happen with condensers

That pipe looks like the safety relief from the heating!? Which would lead to a drop in pressure... Although the black handle looks like its been left in the open position so maybe it's creeping past & topping pressure up :/

Could well be overflow from unvented cyclinder which is in airing cupboard and would be directly above where the pipe is

Could well be overflow from unvented cyclinder which is in airing cupboard and would be directly above where the pipe is

1. Unvented cylinders don't have an overflow.
2. Look at the mortar joint, an unvented discharge will be 22mm at minimum, that looks to be 15mm so it has to be the heating safety discharge.

Measure it again. The diameter. Not the length. That's photo 4 you're talking about.

Is the end of the watering can spout also 200mm?

I'd also be concerned about a push fit fitting being used on the condense!

1. Unvented cylinders don't have an overflow.
2. Look at the mortar joint, an unvented discharge will be 22mm at minimum, that looks to be 15mm so it has to be the heating safety discharge.

Should be a minimum of 22 but wouldnt be the first time i had seen one in 15 :)

The copper pipe with the dodgy soldering is 20mm diameter. That's the one that's dripping

The copper pipe with the dodgy soldering is 20mm diameter. That's the one that's dripping

this one?

IMG_0024.jpg

dont think that one would be dripping other than the cond leaking (white 20mm) pipe

That would would be the best thing to do.

The pipe with the dodgy soldering is the gas pipe.

Ha. Sorry i got confused. I was talking about the one outside. Sorry - new to all this.

Ive turned it off. Its still dripping for now. Ill check in a bit

that pipe out side comes from the filling loop/ expansion vessel, prv, connection point

its had a exp valve done, i would be inspecting if that works ok too!

comisserations on the installed boiler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow worm boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Got back from a week visiting family over Xmas and our boiler has now started making banging and grinding noises. It’s a British Gas 330 which is a Glow Worm boiler.
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me of a boiler equivalent to a Glow worm micron 30ff. I am not sure what one I should get?
Replies
Views
The flue for a glow worm micron 30ff is apparently obsolete but there must be other flues that would fit it surely, it's just a standard 100mm horizontal flue right? I mean when a bg gas engineer tells you that you'll have to change the whole boiler as well because you can apparently no longer...
Replies
Views
P
Does anyone know where I can find the decibel rating for the British Gas 330+ boiler? I'm looking to get it replaced and wanted to compare it against the Glow worm energy 18r or 25r boilers (18W or 25W) or does anyone have any experience of these two models in terms of how noisy they are?
Replies
Views
A
Good morning. We have a 10 year old Ultracom which now very frequently thinks there's a demand for hot water, even though there isn't, so the boiler kicks into that mode, and sits there heating tap water that isn't going anywhere. Sometimes this happens if a cold tap has been used or the loo...
Replies
Views
Andy Don
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock