Search the forum,

Discuss Glow worm 25cxi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dipps

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice...

I live in a 2 bed bungalow which has a glow worm 25cxi combi running the hot water and heating system, I've lived in the property about 2 years but the boiler is about 9 years old.

It it was about this time last year i had problems with the hot water in the shower going cold regularly. After a bit of research I narrowed it down to the heat exchange plate. I called out an engineer who came to the same conclusion. He also recommend fitting a magni clean which I agreed to.

In the last few weeks a new problem has occurred. The showers going Luke cold and the rads are getting hot. He says it pointing to the diverter valve being broken or blocked. Upon opening the cover he says it looks like there's a leak too as there is corrosion inside at the bottom. He said he's happy to fit a new diverter valve but with the problems thinks it might be a money pit.

He he said I should consider replacing the boiler. He recommended the logic vogue or logic plus which come with 7 year warranties. Or for more money look at vallient or Worcester. 32kw. He would charge £500-600 on labour as I've sent business his way.

So do I repair or go new. Is the Ideal logic plus 30kw a good choice? And what should I be paying? I'm in Warwickshire.

thanks guys

does the kitchen tap do the same going cold?

Yes I think so but I'm not totally sure it's my wife's department lol. I out at the moment but I'll double check when I get in. Cheers.

ask him to quote for an intergas combi, as it doesnt use the parts that have failed but all the ones he quoted can still suffer the same issues.

i would go for a new boiler glowworms are a ten year max boiler the ideal vogue has a ten year gaurantee and the plus seven but they are very different boilers my choice would be the vogue

Whats the difference between a logic plus and a vogue? Would a 30kw be sufficient? Also wheres the best place to buy one?

Many thanks!!!

Just another quick question guys. My engineer serviced my boiler. What should have he done in this?

So Iv decided to go down the new boiler route. It's for a 2 bed bungalow, 2 large double rads, 2 large rads, medium rad and large towel rad. One bathroom with bath and shower running off boiler.

Will a 26kw be suffichant? Or should I go for a 30kw?

I'm stuck between the ideal logic plus and the vouge. What's the difference apart from price?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Logic 7 year warranty, Vogue 10 year warranty (32Kw) Water demand is always the important point with combi boilers, 2 things, make sure engineer reduces heat output (Central heating) on boiler to suit system , max burner will kick in for hot water,
and insist that system is flushed & a filter is fitted on return B4 boiler

Both are nice boilers. I've fitted more vogues though and find them very very user friendly

It's about £177 difference for the logic plus 24kw or the 26kw vogue. 7 year or 10 year warrantee.

I I think the vogue is better for the extra warantee? If I up the kW to 30 I'll have to go for a logic plus because of costs.

Theres only 2 of us and the biggest demand for hot water is shower or in the kitchen.

Any more thoughts before I pull the trigger??

Many thanks guys, great forum!

How many quotes have you got just out of interest?

i would go for a new boiler glowworms are a ten year max boiler the ideal vogue has a ten year gaurantee and the plus seven but they are very different boilers my choice would be the vogue

Only combis (I not a fan of them anyway)
I have customers with the original ultracom heat only still in good order after well over 10 years

Im having another installer look at it tomorrow whos suggesting a fexicom 30cx with a similar warrantee.

Thinks he can beat the £500 labor quote.

Any thoughts on the ideal over the flexicom?

Without seeing job for a combi swap, would think anyone can beat a£500 labour charge, rest of costs depends on what boiler you decide to fit and what amount of alterations are required to pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow worm 25cxi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Went to a customer today their glow worm Ultracom 24 HE goes to fire up then cuts out turning the heating pump off, then does the same again before firing and running. Occasionally shows the flame is lit on display but flow temp doesn’t go much past 26. Then if you turn off and try again...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes...
Replies
Views
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock