Search the forum,

Discuss fused spur in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

erj

Gas Engineer
We changed a combi for a new main a few weeks ago, BG have been out and say they will not take it on as the main switch is a 13 amp plug in to a socket, they say it has to be a fused spur, who is right?

They do like it to be a fused spur. And to be fair its only meant to be a temp fix running off a plug. Plus all boilers need to be ran off 3amp not 13amp

Fused spur as its a permanently fitted electrical appliance and 3 amp rated fuse.

Vaillant instructions say:
"Connection to the mains supply shall be made via a fused 3 pin plug to an unswitched shuttered socket, both complying with the
requirements of BS 1363. (Alternatively, connection may be made via a 3 A fused double pole isolator having a contact separation of at least 3 mm in all poles and supplying the boiler and controls only)."
So I suppose that BG would ignore the manufacturers instructions. What do the Main instructions say? At least you could confirm with your customer that you've followed the MIs...​

you should have a 3 amp double pole fused spur,but i prefer a 3 amp plug,you cant get killed if its unplugged

That was the logic we always followed Gas Man. Now I think spurs look neater, that said I do occasionaly use a plug always have a box of 3 amp plugs in the van

it used to be that corgi required switch fused spurs only.
then out came part P and plumber not on part P register - corgi then said ok plug and socket fitted with a 3 amp fuse is ok.(bypasses part P)
now 17th edition reg 537.3.2.6 states
A plug and socket-outlet or similar device of rating not exceeding 16 amps may be used as a device for switching off for mechanical maintenance.
but reg 537.4.2.8 states
A plug and socket -outlet or similar device shall not be selected as a device for emergency switching.
confusing well yes when i bought the regs it said £15 on the front and £51 on the back - and it never got any less confusing in the middle.
hope this helps cheers

Sounds like an excuse for BG not to take a main on contract
i agree, nowt wrong with a 3amp plug, just a matter of choice and circumstance when installing. imo

baxi main.

NOTE: The method of connection to the
electricity supply must facilitate complete electrical
isolation of the appliance.

Connection may be via a fused double-pole isolator
with a contact separation of at least 3mm in all
poles and servicing the boiler and system controls
only.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day the manufacturer is king here. If they specify a separate 3 amp fused spur must be used in the MI's then it is not installed correctly and BG are within their rights to refuse to cover.

i prefer a plug easier to test meter across the pins tells you if theres a sort to earth without opening the boiler and when its out its of no question

It is not and never has been a requirement to be fed solely from a fused spur. Unswitched sockets are fine. Switched are NOT. A plug face can be fused down just the same as a FCU.

Just BG making up their own rules but as they are the ones offering the service they can state what they want.

Spurs are neater and look more professional i suppose but you get more than a 3mm separation by pulling the plug. Seen too many spurs wired with commoned neutrals.

Btw why would a customer want to get BG cover on a newly fitted boiler?

Thanks for all the replys, yes the plug has a 3 amp fuse in, and the old boiler was wired this way, so we can ague al day both have good and bad pionts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fused spur in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock