Search the forum,

Discuss Further to what boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mazp

I also am thinking of a boiler change, and one of the comments about reliability often posted by those who repair boilers is, "It's down to how the boiler has been fitted as much as anything".

Now apart from the essential system flush, what other important points need to be considered, and questions asked of the installer, to ensure a good reliable boiler life.

Regards Ian.

I take it you mean an in line brass (mesh) filter. I once thought of fitting one on my system, but was advised I would need to be checking it every five minutes to stop it blocking the return.

I take it you mean an in line brass (mesh) filter. I once thought of fitting one on my system, but was advised I would need to be checking it every five minutes to stop it blocking the return.
I think he means a magnetic filter, like a magnaclean

It's relatively easy to weed out the snakes when you have people round to quote. Initially don't ask too many questions just observe their actions for example if I was to be installing a combination boiler in a property I would check the flow rate at 2 outlets 1 upstairs 1 downstairs this would give me an idea of restrictions on the pipework ie long runs with lots of bends and the size of boiler suitable for a property taking in to consideration the number of bathrooms etc (there is no point fitting a 40kw boiler in a 3 bed house with a flow rate of 10 litres a minute but yes I have seen it done!) equally in a 4 bed house with bathroom, ensuite and utility with 3 daughters and a flow rate of 18litres a minute it's a contender. Also I'd check the standing pressure. Next I'd be looking at gas supply meter capacity, pipe size and possible route for new pipe if needed. Then the condensate pipe and fluing options. This gives me a short list of possible suitable appliances.

now it's time to talk with customer, what are your behaviours habits and living demands like? What are your expectations from your new system and is there anything on your current system that isn't working or causing concerns from that I could select an appliance suitable for your needs

then i could inform you of its benefits over other similar options extended warranties, installer partnerships offering enhanced manufacturer support and what I can do as an installer to increase your boilers life. Full system flush, magnetic system filter, inline scale reducer, adding drain off valves where none are present (making future maintenance easier) increasing pipework size in parts to improve performance of heating/hot water where applicable.

ask your installer if they would be interested in carrying out the annual service? I gladly service all boilers installed by me. Why wouldn't I it's repeat business and it stops my customers using so done else.

its important to also say it's not just flushing the system and adding chemicals that signifies a good job done. It's also about your safety. The gas pipework needs to carry the correct amount of gas to supply that particular appliance. Long flue runs need to be clamped and be able to be inspected if they are to be boxed in. Pipework should be neat, thought out and supported.

Ask for pictures of previous work. Anyone that does a sterling job had at least one or two pictures of installs on there phones. Were egotistical heating engineers with a perverse sense of pride and self satisfaction with a job done well. We'd be glad to show off some nice shiny pipes with clips all in a row at he same level Andre catastrophe that was there before we started.

also how is there appearance jogging bottoms and rigger boots should send out alarm bells. How does the person quoting make you feel in your own home? Do you feel at ease have they taken time to answer any questions or suggest improvements if a pipe needs to be run on a surface have they discussed it's possible route ie close to the skirting board and not 4ft up the wall over your wall mounted plasma.

but expect to pay a sensible amount of money for a sterling service and quality products but above all peace of mind and a system that will perform safely and happily for many years

It's relatively easy to weed out the snakes when you have people round to quote. Initially don't ask too many questions just observe their actions for example if I was to be installing a combination boiler in a property I would check the flow rate at 2 outlets 1 upstairs 1 downstairs this would give me an idea of restrictions on the pipework ie long runs with lots of bends and the size of boiler suitable for a property taking in to consideration the number of bathrooms etc (there is no point fitting a 40kw boiler in a 3 bed house with a flow rate of 10 litres a minute but yes I have seen it done!) equally in a 4 bed house with bathroom, ensuite and utility with 3 daughters and a flow rate of 18litres a minute it's a contender. Also I'd check the standing pressure. Next I'd be looking at gas supply meter capacity, pipe size and possible route for new pipe if needed. Then the condensate pipe and fluing options. This gives me a short list of possible suitable appliances.

now it's time to talk with customer, what are your behaviours habits and living demands like? What are your expectations from your new system and is there anything on your current system that isn't working or causing concerns from that I could select an appliance suitable for your needs

then i could inform you of its benefits over other similar options extended warranties, installer partnerships offering enhanced manufacturer support and what I can do as an installer to increase your boilers life. Full system flush, magnetic system filter, inline scale reducer, adding drain off valves where none are present (making future maintenance easier) increasing pipework size in parts to improve performance of heating/hot water where applicable.

ask your installer if they would be interested in carrying out the annual service? I gladly service all boilers installed by me. Why wouldn't I it's repeat business and it stops my customers using so done else.

its important to also say it's not just flushing the system and adding chemicals that signifies a good job done. It's also about your safety. The gas pipework needs to carry the correct amount of gas to supply that particular appliance. Long flue runs need to be clamped and be able to be inspected if they are to be boxed in. Pipework should be neat, thought out and supported.

Ask for pictures of previous work. Anyone that does a sterling job had at least one or two pictures of installs on there phones. Were egotistical heating engineers with a perverse sense of pride and self satisfaction with a job done well. We'd be glad to show off some nice shiny pipes with clips all in a row at he same level Andre catastrophe that was there before we started.

also how is there appearance jogging bottoms and rigger boots should send out alarm bells. How does the person quoting make you feel in your own home? Do you feel at ease have they taken time to answer any questions or suggest improvements if a pipe needs to be run on a surface have they discussed it's possible route ie close to the skirting board and not 4ft up the wall over your wall mounted plasma.

but expect to pay a sensible amount of money for a sterling service and quality products but above all peace of mind and a system that will perform safely and happily for many years

Brilliant post Rob. I've copied it and started a new thread with it as this is exactly the kind of advice we need to be giving people looking at new plumbing and heating systems.

Look on Tinterweb MAGNACLEAN

Brilliant post Rob. I've copied it and started a new thread with it as this is exactly the kind of advice we need to be giving people looking at new plumbing and heating systems.

Croppie incorporate this with your whiz bang balancing data sheet, when people come on here asking questions you will be able to flirt it
out like shelling peas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Further to what boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock