Search the forum,

Discuss Flowmasta 3439g backup in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I am a DIY er not a tradesman but would like a bit of info/advice about the Flowmasta 3439g 2 channel boiler controller. I had a new oil boiler installed in September with one of these controllers. Normally it is set to CH on and HW off. I have since discovered that in the event of a mains power cut it reverts to a default program and I have to reset it again. As i live in a village short duration power cuts are fairly frequent. Should it revert or should it maintain settings. The installer wont come back to check as he says that is normal behaviour for the model of controller, he also says the smell of heating oil in the boiler room is normal. Any advice greatfully accepted. Matf

Google the manual for said programmer, it will tell you all about its functions in the manual. Cant comment personally but Simon here knows his stuff and if he says it a cheaper model I don't doubt him.
With regards to the oil smell. Like above maybe after a new install or recent service you can expect a slight smell but if its constant then I would be looking for a leak/leaks. Visually inspecting will give you a good idea, you can also request pressure or vacuum tests if you suspect it to be somewhere inaccessible.

Google the manual for said programmer, it will tell you all about its functions in the manual. Cant comment personally but Simon here knows his stuff and if he says it a cheaper model I don't doubt him.
With regards to the oil smell. Like above maybe after a new install or recent service you can expect a slight smell but if its constant then I would be looking for a leak/leaks. Visually inspecting will give you a good idea, you can also request pressure or vacuum tests if you suspect it to be somewhere inaccessible.
Thanks SJB and Simon, i have the installation guide for the controller and it states that the program TIMES will be retained after a power cut but I am more interested to know if the program SETTINGS should be retained eg if hw is set to off it will stay off after a cut.. If so it just means I have a faulty unit and will have to persuade the installer to take responsibility for a job he completed in September. As for the smell i am monitoring to see if it is worse when the boiler is in use or if it gets worse after not using. There is no visible external leak so i will probably contact Grant boilers to get one of their engineers to check that it was put in and commissioned propery, which I doubt. Any more help appreciated. Matf

Thanks SJB and Simon, i have the installation guide for the controller and it states that the program TIMES will be retained after a power cut but I am more interested to know if the program SETTINGS should be retained eg if hw is set to off it will stay off after a cut.. If so it just means I have a faulty unit and will have to persuade the installer to take responsibility for a job he completed in September. As for the smell i am monitoring to see if it is worse when the boiler is in use or if it gets worse after not using. There is no visible external leak so i will probably contact Grant boilers to get one of their engineers to check that it was put in and commissioned propery, which I doubt. Any more help appreciated. Matf

If your so called engineer left a leak I'd be suspicious (like you) as to whether he properly commissioned the system as well.
Where are you detecting this smell, inside the property or out? Is it a neat fuel smell?
If the smell is inside have you checked all pipework and valves, including the flexi inside boiler casing?
Grant boilers and their technical support is pretty good, its who I did my OFTEC through BUT they might insist on getting the original installer back.
Was he OFTEC?

If you want the programmer in the range that retains its settings after a power interruption you need to swap it for the Flowmaster 25902.
Thanks Brambles. If I search for the 25902 unit and check instruction book it says it is the 3439g. If i search for the 3439g it comes up with 25902 making me think they are the same unit. Confused here!!

Just to point out that I said the Flomasta is a cheap unit, it is and I have used one when the merchants had nothing else. It's about 2 years old now and not caused any problems.

Thank you to the people who replied and advised. As for the Flowmasta controller, I tried contacting their support line only to get an answering machine and no ring back so decided to scrap the unit and fit a Drayton one instead which will solve that problem. As for the smell of oil in the boiler room, the fitter has suggested (without visiting) that it is probably fumes from the exhaust which I doubt ( balanced flue and brick built external boiler room) but will investigate further. There are no signs of a leak within the casing or room.

it should have battery back up and hold programmes the one you have looks like an older model the 25902 is the newer model think flowmasta is screwfixs own i think he may have fitted a controller he already had contact screwfix as the 3439 doesnt come up on any searches

The 3439 was only sold in packs of 5 from Plumb Fix - I think it was discontinued a few years ago. They had a range of similar items that were only sold in packs of 5 or 10 to target small tradesmen.

Reply to Flowmasta 3439g backup in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock