Search the forum,

Discuss Filling loop / check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

E22

Hi,

in what circumstances, would you say, it is ok to install a boiler without a filling loop and/or check valve?

We had a new boiler installed without a filling loop and/or check valve. I had conflicting advice on the subject: some say it is illegal not to have a check valve (risk of water contamination), others say it is ok, as long as there is a way to top up the boiler (in our case, a tap on the floor bellow behind the fridge).

The fact, that the new boiler did not have the check valve was flagged up by a plumber, who came a few days later to inspect a leaking pipe.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Water regulations insist that you protect the water supply, not just with a check valve but rather a double check valve. The filling loop must be removable too so that the water main is not linked to the heating system at any time other than filling, usually done with an easily detachable braided hose.

It sounds like you have a direct connection between water supply and heating system controlled by a valve of some sort.

This would be in contravention of the UK water regulations. It's not a grey area or anything like it. It is a must do to have it set up properly.

Water regulations insist that you protect the water supply, not just with a check valve but rather a double check valve. The filling loop must be removable too so that the water main is not linked to the heating system at any time other than filling.

It sounds like you have a direct connection between water supply and heating system controlled by a valve of some sort.

This would be in contravention of the UK water regulations. It's not a grey area or anything like it. It is a must do to have it set up properly.

Thank you. This is very helpful to know.

Indeed, there is one direct pipe that connects the kitchen taps and boiler and there is only one valve (tap) between them.

The lack of double check valve is blatantly obvious. The installation company would not come back to rectify, because the engineer says "there is a filling loop". (although there isn's one). Any advice on how to proceed?

I am an expert on pressurised domestic heating systems. The relevant Wras regs are
Water Regulations Guide 1999 Schedule 2 Section 8 par. G24.1 G24.2
However also refer to B54 it might assist. I do not like G24 because it actually does
not actually specify a double check valve...however in combination with Yorkshire Water
we hope to have this amnended ...in fact the up dated instructions for Top Up Mate
include this as a core part of its installation guide. centralheatking

I am an expert on pressurised domestic heating systems. The relevant Wras regs are
Water Regulations Guide 1999 Schedule 2 Section 8 par. G24.1 G24.2
However also refer to B54 it might assist. I do not like G24 because it actually does
not actually specify a double check valve...however in combination with Yorkshire Water
we hope to have this amnended ...in fact the up dated instructions for Top Up Mate
include this as a core part of its installation guide. centralheatking

Thanx! That is so helpful!
I am geninely shocked that this being such an unambiguous requirement, it has been totally overlooked in our installation. And the company had guts to argue otherwise!
Thank you!

You could ask them to take a look at the UK Water Regulations Section 8.24 and ask them how they have managed to make your installation comply with these requirements. I have attached a photograph of the relevant page for your perusal. Sorry it's not a better copy but it should be readable and you will see they have not met the requirements.

Edit to add- Sorry the picture looks a lot better at my end. I will try to take another and get a better picture uploaded.

Attachments

• filling loop requirements.JPG
    filling loop requirements.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
You could ask them to take a look at the UK Water Regulations Section 8.24 and ask them how they have managed to make your installation comply with these requirements. I have attached a photograph of the relevant page for your perusal. Sorry it's not a better copy but it should be readable and you will see they have not met the requirements.

This is totally adequate! Thank you!

I only wish I had posted this question here earlier!

Thank you for the advice and information! You are all absolutely amazing!

I'll try again but I think by uploading the photo, the quality is being significantly lowered.

OK, it's still not great but at least you know the relevant section to quote in our water regs now.

Happy to help.

Attachments

• filling loop 1.JPG
    filling loop 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanx! That is so helpful!
I am geninely shocked that this being such an unambiguous requirement, it has been totally overlooked in our installation. And the company had guts to argue otherwise!
Thank you!
In fact the risk to your drinking water supply is minimal...consider a mains water pressure
supply under all normal circumstances it will push clean water into your home. The regulations cover every possible aspect quite rightly, they are more concerned with
abnormal situations but MUST be allowed for when 'dirty' water can return back into the drinking water ...this is mostly to do with flats, high rise and homes down hill of others
...relax but it should have been carried out properly ...centralheatking

In fact the risk to your drinking water supply is minimal...consider a mains water pressure
supply under all normal circumstances it will push clean water into your home. The regulations cover every possible aspect quite rightly, they are more concerned with
abnormal situations but MUST be allowed for when 'dirty' water can return back into the drinking water ...this is mostly to do with flats, high rise and homes down hill of others
...relax but it should have been carried out properly ...centralheatking

Coincidentally, the property is on the ground floors in a block of flats.

Feelijg confident and armed with your informaiton, I kicked up a bit more fuss. My case is now with compliance team (uh!) and I should be hearing back soon.

It always helps to know the regulations behind the case! Thank you so much!

UPDATE!

Enforced with all this new knowledge, my complaint did get a response.

At first, the engineer argued that the valve On the kitchen pipe IS the filling loop. I knew it was not, but I did not know if I had a case against him. Now, faced with actual quoted regulations, he admitted that there is neither a filling loop nor double check valve.
I have been promised an appointment promptly to rectify the installation.

THANK YOU for all of your messages!

Reply to Filling loop / check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock