Search the forum,

Discuss Fault with boiler, pump or controller? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Please can someone help identify if there is a problem with my heating system.

A few days ago it seemed the boiler was trying to light despite no demand for heating or hot water for an hour. The display indicated ‘C’ and the burner light was blinking.

This morning, there was no display on the boiler and the pump on the cylinder was very hot to touch, despite no demand for heating or hot water for over 12hrs.

Is this normal or is there an issue somewhere?

ICOS HE12 Boiler
Tribune HE Cylinder
Grundfos Alpha 2 Pump
Drayton SM2 Programmer

Any help much appreciated!

Were the rads & pipework also getting hot or is your pump hot because its seized maybe? Boiler can fire up with no demand from programmer for frost protection etc.

The radiators were cold. I didn't check the pipework. Which pipework should I be checking?

Is there a way to check is the pump is seized?

The Alpha 2 doesn't have a vent screw so you cannot access the shaft like most pumps, you could turn off the power and when it cools down try again by gently tapping the pump with a hammer might work.

best and easiest method is to get a heating engy out

Also when you call him. Don’t tell him what boiler you have, just say it’s a bag of nails and I bet he says “is it an ideal”:p:p:p;):D

:) How did he ever expect getting any respect from anyone after telling us that? I remeber when it was removed from BG's approved list of flamethrowers.

Last edited:
I’ve had this before with an ideal. Turned out the mortised valve was jammed open, giving switch live to the boiler. The bypass was also piped in 15mm which meant the pump was getting mad hot and then the boiler would over heat and fail on the over heat stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fault with boiler, pump or controller? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock