Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion vessel insert, should I remove? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Has anyone installed a Refix potable expansion tank? There's a plastic insert inside the 3/4 threaded connector - should it be left in? I though it maybe to space the diaphragm off the inlet point, but not sure if it's just a protector insert which will stop the tank operating - nothing in instructions?? Anyone had any experience with this type?

Cheers

Post a picture please it's not normal to remove anything internally the only part removable may be a plastic cap to protect the threaded connection and the vessel inside . Kop

If you look closely, you will see holes in the "insert" to allow water to enter the EV but also to stop the rubber bladder from extruding through the "hole" in the end, it is also recommended (unvented cylinder) that the pre pressure is ~ 0.2 bar lower than the cold water pressure after the PRV to ensure that the bladder is never normally in contact with the end to avoid any damage. (the differential pressure also apparently helps to avoid water hammer).

Attachments

• EV Water End.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 8
Fair play to Refix Winnklemann, they did reply from German office (given current circumstances didn't expect anything TBH). For anyone in the future : Potable tanks are fitted with a plastic insert as the tank is stainless, so no mixture of metals. The insert is to "stir" the inlet water on entry/exits, thus preventing settlement of materials in mains water and also to support the internal diaphragm. Non-potable tanks do not have the plastic insert, but do have a gauze inside the tank to support the diaphragm. However, some Potable vessels may have a bar inside the neck of the spigot connector which does the same job, more likely on old tanks.

Thank you all for your responses.

Reply to Expansion vessel insert, should I remove? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock