Search the forum,

Discuss Does valve or thermostat fire boiler please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get someone in to change motor on valve as no hot water unless valve is manually locked open but it may be a while as plumbers busy.

Will locking the valve open cause the boiler to fire or is it the thermostat that fires the boiler? Currently using immersion but would prefer gas as cheaper.

It's a newish Vaillant Ecotech under warranty which is why going to get pro in. I could understand old Baxi but these fangled condensing things give me a headache and am getting on a bit now!

Many thanks.

The valve does and with you locking it open / manually doing it the thermostat won't do anything so I wouldn't recommend it

If you lock it open, water will only flow to cylinder when there is a demand for heating, and then your cylinder stat will not control your water temp, so be careful as water could reach 80 C or more.

Good point from Waddycall!
The motorised valve for unvented cylinders is a component of the unit and one of the main failsafe parts and should never be left manually on, because overheating is the only way those cylinders can become a bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does valve or thermostat fire boiler please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out on Friday after a long period of faultless running, there was a bit of gunk on the back of the (newish) nozzle (Danfoss Nozzle 0.65 x 80 EH) ...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock