Search the forum,

Discuss Your Kids and Their Exam Results in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Lou

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Subscribed
How did your kids do in their exams? Have they got the grades they wanted?

Seems like it has been a bit of a shambles this year to be honest. I do feel sorry for the kids.

Hopefully now the government is letting the teachers give the grades it won't be as bad now.

I heard BTECs are still not being changed though which is a shame. I think a lot of BTECs are in trades so they need to do something about it really.

Mine are all grown up, but sick of hearing the young ones whingeing on about it. Yes the 'adjusted' marks seem out, as do the teachers guestimates.

Listening to one today, didn't do well in mock exams, poor teacher estimate. It's not fair, I would have aced my exams.

Erm i dont think so!

T me it's not exam results that make the person it's the efforts. Exam results wont get you a job, might get a skive for 4 years at uni, but theres more to it when you're going for a job.

Summed it up last night on the news, one of them wasnt even bright enough to hold their protest banner up thr right way.

I really despair for the future. I can hear the excuses now. Aye if it wasnt for that covid thing I would have been a brain surgeon.

I must really stop watching the news.

How did your kids do in their exams? Have they got the grades they wanted?

Seems like it has been a bit of a shambles this year to be honest. I do feel sorry for the kids.

Hopefully now the government is letting the teachers give the grades it won't be as bad now.

I heard BTECs are still not being changed though which is a shame. I think a lot of BTECs are in trades so they need to do something about it really.

Fortunately BTecs don’t seem to have been as badly affected (although many were late) as A levels. So my g/daughter has got what she needs to be accepted on her osteopathy course.

Rumour has it that the Permanent Sec at Dept for Education will be sacked not that useless former fireplace salesman Williamson - yes, that’s right, the one who was sacked by the previous PM for leaking from the National Security Council!

Just the latest of a bunch of incompetents masquerading as cabinet ministers; whose qualifications for being appointed were a willingness to suck up to Johnson/***mings and to pretend to believe the lie that a no-deal Brexit will not severely damage the country.

I think the original system worked with the exception of people that ended up with a grade more than 1 grade from their expected

i.e

expected A, awarded B = ok

expected A, awarded C = review

this years GCSE and A level results will all be the highest ever - bad news for next years kids because they will look bad by comparison

Mine are all grown up, but sick of hearing the young ones whingeing on about it. Yes the 'adjusted' marks seem out, as do the teachers guestimates.

Listening to one today, didn't do well in mock exams, poor teacher estimate. It's not fair, I would have aced my exams.

Erm i dont think so!

T me it's not exam results that make the person it's the efforts. Exam results wont get you a job, might get a skive for 4 years at uni, but theres more to it when you're going for a job.

Summed it up last night on the news, one of them wasnt even bright enough to hold their protest banner up thr right way.

I really despair for the future. I can hear the excuses now. Aye if it wasnt for that covid thing I would have been a brain surgeon.

I must really stop watching the news.
I really have stopped watching the news months ago. I pick up snippets on Twitter. I totally agree with all you said. I have to confess that I'm baffled at such a thread on the Plumbers forum

My daughter is only six years old but her reading, writing and mathematics progress has astounded me. Mrs Keefy is a key worker and neither of our jobs has been affected (not much anyway) by the lockdown. We were feeling quite guilty recently for not spending as much educational time with her as we felt obliged to (plus cancelling Disneyland in April) but I really do think she's picked up more being in a small group at school during this time.

She's often been the only child in the whole school over the last few months but her teacher has brought along her own kid as company for her on the odd occasion she (teacher) could forsee she'd otherwise be alone.

When I said "astounded" I wasn't kidding, she's doing great and we're proud of her.

Although A level exams never happened, my son's computer science teacher told him and two other students he was giving them an A, which he rightly deserved having received A's in last years GCSE exams. The scum bag actually gave him a B but awarded the other two (both girls) A's, meaning he missed out on his first and second choice universities. We think it had something to do with the government instructing lower performing schools to avoid awarding too many grade A's this year. But the teacher should never have told him he was giving him an A and then award a B. My son had to go through clearing and was accepted by one of the 5 universities on his list, but travelling there takes three times longer. We complained to the school and asked to speak to his teacher to find out why he awarded the B, but apparently he is on holiday.

Last edited:
No children but we have parental responsibility for our nephew and niece she is 18 now so not with us but he on the other hand got

U mathematics U economics D physics

these are AS levels so been to meeting last week about 2nd year at college To be told the 26 maths assignments he was supposed to do in may June and July he had only done 4. So will not be doing A level maths he is going on to do retake of 1st year maths so will do an extra year, he can go through to A level in economics, also changed the only one he did ok in physics to an IT double course, so in the 3rd year he will do A level maths and another IT. I can’t tell you how sick I felt when told he hadn’t done the maths as I have been on at him to get it done. I also feel the colleges have a big part to play as there was no engagement with them over internet lessons. I won’t go into details but he Has cost himself a lot of money as he won’t be with us once he is 18. As this was the agreement

Spent some time with my brother and his family this weekend his youngest son stayed on in sixth form he did ok in his Business and IT getting A's but just scraped through on his Sports subject as he says he lot interest half way through, had a chat with him over lunch today and the lad hasn't a clue what he wants to do with his life 18 years old not a clue.???

Spent some time with my brother and his family this weekend his youngest son stayed on in sixth form he did ok in his Business and IT getting A's but just scraped through on his Sports subject as he says he lot interest half way through, had a chat with him over lunch today and the lad hasn't a clue what he wants to do with his life 18 years old not a clue.???
Same as nephew he says no motivation to do his work as he wasn’t in college 17 and he has no real idea of what he wants to do.

Don’t know about anyone with kids at schools but the college where nephew goes seem to have treated the time like a holiday negligible interaction with the students. Same with our doctors impossible to get through to and make an appointment

When I was 17/18 I wasn’t sure what I wanted either. I chose a BTEC in computers, but struggled to get a job because they all wanted minimum experience. My mum was pressuring me to go to uni (same as my brother) or she would compare me to other kids she knew - which I found discouraging. She suggested to get a trade, so I had something to fall back on if I couldn’t get the job I wanted. I’m still unsure what I want 16 years later, as I’m finding it a struggle to understand certain aspects of my job, I get bored and distracted easily.

Just as something to do with the op, when I studied d&t in school, the exam was really difficult and even our teacher found the questions difficult, needless to say I got a low grade in that subject (an F).

O levels, did better than predicted. A levels Maths, Physics and Technical Drawing, lasted 3 weeks and onto an engineering yts. Stayed 10 months as I found a job for a m and e company, chose it over starting as an architectural technician. Within a few months indentured apprentice. Lasted 7 years. Break away for 13 years and been on my own now for over 15 years.

Going back to careers day at school I wanted to be a cybernetic engineer.

Exam results are overrated. Same with uni. Too many tin pot degrees and far too many graduates landed with massive debt to stack shelves at aldi.

More practical stuff at school required for me. Engage the kids and get them interested in things.

Reply to Your Kids and Their Exam Results in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock