Search the forum,

Discuss CWST temperature advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, first time posting, looking for advice regarding a CWST.

I was asked to look at a system where the customer couldn't get below 25degree at cold taps. The building is predominantly unused at the moment, it is going to be used as a holiday let soon.
It has 8 ensuite bedrooms, a main kitchen and a second sitting area which has a sink in it.
The CWST is in the basement, in a plantroom off the swimming pool area, also in the plantroom is the swimming pool boiler (Room Sealed) and associated kit. The CWST outlet goes into a booster pump set to feed the cold outlets and also feeds the unvented Hot Water cylinders also situated in the plantroom.
There is no ventilation in the plantroom and no means to run any (being in the basement under the house) Not the best of designs I must say!
The humid air temperature in the plantroom is 28degrees and due to the building being unoccupied at the moment water wasn't being drawn off which had caused the temperature inside the tank to rise.

We have tried emptying the tank completely, and refilling, incoming water temp is 10degrees, newly filled tank temp was then 15 degrees, 24hr later it was 19degrees and a further 24hr later 23degrees.
My question is if the fibreglass tank was insulated would it keep the water cooler for longer or cause the water to heat quicker?
I informed my client that a full chlorination will be required once we find a suitable solution.

All advice appreciated

Insulation keeps cool things cool and hot things hot. If the cistern was properly insulated and the turn over of water sufficient, you will hopefully be able to maintain a more acceptable lower temp at the cistern and therefore the outlets. Many people have their CWSC in their lofts and as you are probably aware, they can also be very warm places in the hotter months. Insulation is not just a nice thing to have, it is a regulation. A bye-law 30 kit contains all of the items required to keep a cistern hygienic, including an insulating jacket.

Ultimately, if the water cannot be maintained at a suitable temperature because of the siting, it would have to be moved.

I wouldn’t know with these, it’s beyond my general knowledge. However it sounds plausible that the tank is being unduly warmed, but I’m not sure about insulating a booster tank. Have you ruled out any backflow from a faulty mixing valve?

Insulate the tank correctly.

If it's that really warm in there as well you could build an insulated cupboard within the room with Celotex or something like that.

The problem you may have is the tank will have to be sized for 8 bedrooms but how often is the house going to be fully occupied. Make sure the tank is not oversized as you will just have water sat around longer than it needs to be.

A couple of points:

Is this in the Uk? If so there are regulations on forced ventilation for chlorinated water systems in confined spaces. I assume it is not a brine system.

It is not unusual to have an A/C unit in an underground pool plant room - to deal with the above and lower the ambient temperature and humidity.

Reply to CWST temperature advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open vented system S plan Also found there was no bypass and this was an external boiler with frost stat so boiler would start with no valves open...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, (not sure if my last post worked so apologies if this is a duplicate). I have an Ideal Boiler (vogue max system 18) and a MegaFlo Water tank. On the boiler I only have 1 dial to turn the water temp up or down (no separate dials for heating and water). On the water tank, I can...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an Ideal boiler (Vogue Max System 18) and a hot water tank (Heatrae Sadia Megaflo). On the boiler I only have 1 dial to turn the water temp up or down...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock