Search the forum,

Discuss Core Drills Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tired

I'm a builder rather than plumber so hadn't used core drills until now. I've bought a Dewalt D21570K which was recommended by a plumber. I went on to buy a set of Dart drill bits. Both items weren't bottom of the range but not far off. I only needed the drill to make three holes hence the desire to not pay much more.

I'm drilling through a concrete foundation which has been down for about a year. The drill seems to be struggling in the hole it's made rather than with the drilling of it. I'm past the drill bit now which is when my progress nose dived. I thought maybe it was causing a vacuum so I pilot drilled all the way through. This hasn't helped! The concrete may still be a bit wet although it is near the top of the strip about 10cm below the bottom block.

I've read a few things online about slots in the bit causing vibration and clogging but this doesn't seem to be my problem. Is there something I can put on the bit to lube it in the hole? Is it likely I need a better bit? I'd appreciate any thoughts or pointers.

I perhaps should have mentioned that the Dart drill bits are Diamond and the Dewalt is a core drill. The hole I'm trying to drill is 65mm.
Cheers

In my experience coring hundreds of holes the drill must be 100% level as slightly off and the core bit starts to jam against the outer wall, I'm not trying to teach a granny how to suck eggs lol ( pardon my phrase usage ) but defo this causes major friction , also if I haven't already put a pilot hole in then I usually take the centre bit out once I've got a start,
Also some core bits the diamond teeth are slightly wider than the barrel of the core giving u than millimetre of clearance but wet concrete can always be problematic,

If you're at the depth of the core drill and you want to go deeper have emptied the core of it's contents?

I'd also proceed without the pilot drill.

Admittedly I'm on my knees in a trench trying to get the core drill in perfectly straight, therefore I'm sure the angle is adding to the issues I'm having. With reference to the second comment above, I'd love to have contents to empty from the core. I'll definitely try without the pilot bit. Is there any guidance on whether I need a different bit to compare to? I live in rural France and the French don't have the same system of core drill so I'm slightly stuck with regard to what I can order online as it has to be from UK. Makita do a box of drill bits with mostly positive reviews. A plumber said he uses Erbauer.......I wouldn't touch the tools but perhaps the core drill bits are okay? Is there a bit that works well in potentially moist concrete? Appreciate the advice.

Have you got a brick wall you can try the core in so you can see how it performs?

1st core and into concrete is a steep learning curve.

I would also like to add that particular core gun sucks, mine lasted a year, had to hire the makita to finish a job.

I've done a 110mm core with a Dewalt SDS drill, took about half an hour in all I was curious to see if I could, how thick is concrete? Mine was 300mm.
As mentioned above, make sure the drill is level and don't try to force it, just let the core bit do its thing with a small amount of pressure, take it out every minute or so and clean the bit up, when you can - knock out any of the cylinder to give one less surface for the bit to catch on.
I know how tempting it is to push hard, especially as you're in a trench.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey :D

Seen the dewalt version you have and TBH it looks like a cheap percussion toy,i use a DDM3 but this is not a cheap drill,as Kris pointed out ,needs to be perfectly strait

Coring wet bricks or concrete can be challenging, as often a slurry forms and clogs the diamond matrix. This doesn't happen with wet drilling as the water carries the slurry away.
To sharpen the core bit, (expose the diamonds). Drill into dry high strength concrete, like a pressed paving slab with granite aggregate. With pilot hole through footing you could try introducing flowing water from far side to clear slurry, but given electrics and possibility of flooding trench this option appears limited. Alternate one minute coring with 10 secs sharpening will get you through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Core Drills Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock